[SOLVED] Will these new components be compatible?

Alex_220

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
I'm wondering if my PSU is good enough to handle the extra wattage of some new components that im planning to buy.
I want to buy an i7-8700 and an extra 8GB DDR4 of RAM.. i might need to upgrade the motherboard too since i'm not sure if my current motherboard is able to fit the new processor.

My rig right now has these components:

x1 B150-HD3-CF (Motherboard)
x1 GTX 1070
x1 I5-6500 3.0GHZ
x1 8GB DDR4 RAM (2666mhz)
x1 INTEL SSDSC2BB480G6(500gb SSD)
x1 7200 RPM 1TB HDD

I'm not sure at what speed my fans run at but i have two of them.

The PSU is a Seasonic G Series 550w SSR-550RM.

I use my components usually at their max potential, specially the RAM and CPU since they're at 100% of usage most of the time so that's something to have in mind

Solution
Your psu is fine.

Adding an extra 8gb RAM is a bit of a gamble. It might work, it might not. RAM should be bought in matched kits where the sticks are guaranteed to work together. Even buying the same make and model is guaranteed to work. You best option is sell your 8gb and buy a 2x8gb kit.
Your psu is fine.

Adding an extra 8gb RAM is a bit of a gamble. It might work, it might not. RAM should be bought in matched kits where the sticks are guaranteed to work together. Even buying the same make and model is guaranteed to work. You best option is sell your 8gb and buy a 2x8gb kit.

Solution

Alex_220

Reputable
Jun 7, 2016
Your psu is fine.

Oh really? i had no clue that the RAM sticks may not be compatible with each other but thanks for letting me know!
I decided to get a MSI B360 motherboard, the I7-8700 and probably take your advice and get a 2x8gb kit.
So having all those upgrades in mind, are you sure my 550w PSU won't have any problems at all even at high stress situations?

TRENDING THREADS