Will These OC Settings Decrease the Lifespan of My Strix 1080?

MisterNguyen

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016
https://postimg.org/image/mas2zklhv/
That's the highest core I can achieve. Unigine crashes if I add +10 MHz to it. I also keep the memory clock at +1150; I can go higher, but I get lower benchmark results on Unigine.

https://postimg.org/image/iiwbkpnvx/
I decided to play around with the fan curve a little bit, especially after the temperature of my GPU rose to 75 c after only playing the Resident Evil 7 demo for roughly 15 minutes @ 1440p with max settings.

Will these OC settings decrease the lifespan of my card? I'm still new to overclocking.

Thanks!

Solution
No worries man, none at all.
For OCing, you’ll get artifacts and crashes if you go too far, and even when the card starts acting all jacked up – it is still not being damaged. Kind of a long explanation as to how computers work, but basically when you OC things become less stable and the PC ends up guessing. Too many wrong guesses causes problems – but not damage.

Really the only way to cause actual damage is heat. And heat just isn’t going to be an issue for you – you’re going to reach instability before you reach thermal problems, as you have discovered.

Wanting to adjust your fan curve to be a bit more conservative is totally ok. I don’t like to hear my GPU spin up so I have it hit 100% fan speed at 80C. with 50% fan speed...
Increased temperature would potentially decrease lifespan.

But we are talking days off of decades here. Modern transistors and capacitors have incredible lifespans, and will not only out last us but could potentially see the sun dim and life end as we know it. Electronics are incredibly reliable.

MisterNguyen

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016

Should I keep the fan curve the way it is? I've read somewhere that raising the fans has a chance of damaging the card. But I just want my temperature to stay consistent in the mid 70's or lower while gaming. I want my card to be okay for at least another year and half until the next upgrade, and I also want to squeeze out as much performance as possible without running into the risk of destroying the thing.

I know. I can't have it all lol. :(

fry178

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
nope, wont matter.
max limits are fixed (by Nv) and it will trigger throttling if anything gets to be way off.

temps are the main reason why stuff dies, so try to keep the card below 90C.
your card should not be reaching more than 80 anyway with the strix, unless bad airflow in the case.

but as greens said, stuff will outlast us...

MisterNguyen

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016

Cool! Thanks!

No worries man, none at all.
For OCing, you’ll get artifacts and crashes if you go too far, and even when the card starts acting all jacked up – it is still not being damaged. Kind of a long explanation as to how computers work, but basically when you OC things become less stable and the PC ends up guessing. Too many wrong guesses causes problems – but not damage.

Really the only way to cause actual damage is heat. And heat just isn’t going to be an issue for you – you’re going to reach instability before you reach thermal problems, as you have discovered.

Wanting to adjust your fan curve to be a bit more conservative is totally ok. I don’t like to hear my GPU spin up so I have it hit 100% fan speed at 80C. with 50% fan speed at 70c or so. Totally up to you though. A GTX 1080 under full load at 80c is perfectly acceptable.

My card actually did have some thermal issues which I have since resolved, but yours is 100% good to go, not being an EVGA ACX 3 cooler.

Solution

MisterNguyen

Honorable
Aug 29, 2016

Wonderful and experienced users like you and Fry178 is why I love this website so much. It's only been 4 months since I built my very first gaming rig and already I've learned quite a lot.