Will these parts work together and be good for playing games?

Aarontheman

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Hello everyone! I am looking at many self designed builds and I am not looking for a part list I just want to know if these pars would work together and if they do how well.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 880K
Case: Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-M2
RAM ( get its overkill and its for bragging rights): Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB
PSU: Corsair Builder Series CX430 V2
SSD (I don't need much storage): Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB 7mm SATA 6Gb/s
Motherboard: ASUS A68HM-K Socket FM2+ AMD A68H

Solution

Yep there is a bios update for that processor:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A68HMK/HelpDesk_CPU/

Go to the link I posted above and go to the bottom, download the BIOS update for the 880k and put it on a USB flash drive. Then when you first boot the computer go to the BIOS and go to EZ Update, make sure the flash drive is plugged into the PC, then you can install the update from there and you're set.

Aarontheman

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

For now I am using this for power use and other tasks needed to be done. Video cards aren't important as of now but eventually I will buy an expensive one

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No, that processor literally has no video output, you need to buy a video card.

As an aside, that PSU is often a known issue here, you should consider the XFX TS 550, it can usually be had cheap.

Aarontheman

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Alright I guess I will have to buy one soon then. How would these parts work for gaming say if it had a good graphics card?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Yep there is a bios update for that processor:

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A68HMK/HelpDesk_CPU/

Go to the link I posted above and go to the bottom, download the BIOS update for the 880k and put it on a USB flash drive. Then when you first boot the computer go to the BIOS and go to EZ Update, make sure the flash drive is plugged into the PC, then you can install the update from there and you're set.

Solution

anti-duck

Honorable

You wouldn't be able to unless you have another CPU/APU that you could use to update the BIOS, you could ask the retailer if it will ship with the latest BIOS. Personally, I'd save the bother and just go with something like an A10-7850K (which has video output), go for some cheaper RAM and then put the money into a better PSU.

Aarontheman

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

But do I need to update the BIOS?

anti-duck

Honorable

You wouldn't have to with an A10-7850k.

anti-duck

Honorable

You're forgetting that he has no video out :p

Aarontheman

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

How much is the A10? and also what graphics comes with it? R7?

Aarontheman

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016

How exactly well would these parts run excluding a graphics card. I understand that I need one but what would you say for my parts if they did have a graphics card?

You can find some low end video cards for dirt cheap on ebay/craigslist that could hold you over untill you buy a new GPU. In addition to that A secondary hard drive (or one larger) might be useful, for gaming only having 120gb might be a little tight, as you need 60 for BF Hardline, 50 for Titanfall, etc. Might be worth getting a 500gb+ HDD to save games on.

Aarontheman

Commendable
Mar 28, 2016
Wow I never though of buying PC parts off of Ebay thanks man! I can get a bad GPU for now then buy a good one. I really appreciate that. I'm not being sarcastic like I really appreciate that