[SOLVED] Will these parts work together? Asus wasn't much help

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Hi; i also went to pcpartpicker(asus suggested) site and my motherboard wasn't listed and the suggested memory i saw was not on Asus QVL. Hoping you guys can give me the go ahead on my upgrade.

So i have a case; coolermaster 450d, a Corsair RM650 PSU, and GPU is the RX560.
Asus said the Gpu will work.

I am hoping to buy the ASUS TUF B450 Pro Gaming MB(pc partpicker did have the micro version), A Ryzen 5 2600 processor and the cheapest memory i
found on the Asus QVL. it is CORSAIR CMK16GX4M2B3600C18 2x8gb

Using a 2nd gen ryzen, Asus says i can install my copy of windows 7 on it.

So in your opinion, will all these pieces work together?
Thank y'all so much.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
i would use Crucial, like I just did to get an EXACT match of ram that works for your mobo

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/ASUS/tuf-b450-pro-gaming

get the 16GB kit (it's $74 total!)
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/tuf-b450-pro-gaming/CT14913623

this will run flawlessly and should serve you well.

I like Crucial and i like that price as well. it never occurred to me to go to the memory makers to look for supported motherboards. the crucial was not on the asus qvl. Asus actually tests many but not all memory on there boards. So, Crucial tests this memory on all the motherboards? i'm confused now on whether to trust asus or crucial :)

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
the board can handle
DDR4 3533(O.C)/3466(O.C.)/3200(O.C.)/3000(O.C.)/2800(O.C.)/2666/2400/2133 MHz Un-buffered Memory
i don't understand by 3466 (o.c.) I see to the right 3 speeds, 2666/2400/2133 MHz. Do you over clock those 3 to get to those 3000 range speeds or what?

D

Deleted member 14196

Qvl lists are a bunch of garbage. Trust micron they’ve never let me down in all of my years working. The motherboard manufacturers are not going to take the time to test every stick of RAM nor could they be expected to. It handles DDR4 — get that. Micron won’t let you down

WIndows 7 is nearing end-of-life (for security updates, etc) anyway, and, requires trickery and extra patches to get working as it's chipset and USB ports w/keyboard/mouse are often not recognized, and, does not natively officially support Ryzen processors or any of it's mainboards... (any update by MS to Win7 could brick the cheat patches released to make it work, and, current/future ability ability to even boot..for the few more months it has of life)

Upgrade it to Win10 while MS is still (surrpisingly, 18-20 months after the free deadline!) allowing it...(you will get used to the convenient search window right next to the shiny new/different Start icon within a few minutes...!)

I'm just an ol fart and hate change. i want to see what happens first. If one day my OS crashes due to my vulnerability, then i'll go ahead and install win 10. At least that's my current thinking :)
I loved Win7 and delay upgrading to Win10 because I hated Win8 and Win8.1, but Win10 is basically a prettier, more updated, faster version of Win7. You should try Win10 first then go to Win7 in my opinion. Give it at least a week.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
WIndows 7 is nearing end-of-life (for security updates, etc) anyway, and, requires trickery and extra patches to get working as it's chipset and USB ports w/keyboard/mouse are often not recognized, and, does not natively officially support Ryzen processors or any of it's mainboards... (any update by MS to Win7 could brick the cheat patches released to make it work, and, current/future ability ability to even boot..for the few more months it has of life)

Upgrade it to Win10 while MS is still (surrpisingly, 18-20 months after the free deadline!) allowing it...(you will get used to the convenient search window right next to the shiny new/different Start icon within a few minutes...!)

I saw that on the asus b450 tuf gaming board that it supports windows 7. i assume the usbs and everything would work normally. If that's incorrect then i need to call Asus and see what's up

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I loved Win7 and delay upgrading to Win10 because I hated Win8 and Win8.1, but Win10 is basically a prettier, more updated, faster version of Win7. You should try Win10 first then go to Win7 in my opinion. Give it at least a week.

So, say i install windows 10 and i have windows 7 on another hdd; can i boot back and forth if i want? thanks

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
On the asus site page for my motherboard it says under specs:

Operating System
Windows® 10 64-bit
Windows® 7 64-bit *5

*5 Install an AMD Ryzen™ 2nd Generatione or Ryzen™ 1st Generation Processors to support Windows 7 64-bit operating system.

I'm getting the Ryzen 5 2600 and i have a copy of win 7 64bit so according to Asus, i'm good

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/TUF-B450-PRO-GAMING/

Reactions: helper800

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
On the asus MB, I read somewhere something about 'pin outs' and 'F panel' and connections to the front panel buttons and leds and that the Asus instructions did not even address the issue in their manual.
A friend is building me a system and i don't want him to run into (m)any problems. Thanks

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
thank you. i thought as much. can i ask a ram question? i was going with a corsair 2x8gb kit CMK16GX4M2B3600C18(Ver4.31) i got from the asus QVL(my buddy would rather i choose it from there) The model number has a (ver.4.31). When i go to a vendor like newegg, they do not include that version number. I chatted with Corsair and they said "we cannot guarantee version number when purchasing." so i'm confused. Do i go with the model number and disregard the version?

Oh, and on top of that, Corsair said i should get a kit CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 that is not on the Asus QVL.

bout to drive me back to drinkin over here

Last edited:
thank you. i thought as much. can i ask a ram question? i was going with a corsair 2x8gb kit CMK16GX4M2B3600C18(Ver4.31) i got from the asus QVL(my buddy would rather i choose it from there) The model number has a (ver.4.31). When i go to a vendor like newegg, they do not include that version number. I chatted with Corsair and they said "we cannot guarantee version number when purchasing." so i'm confused. Do i go with the model number and disregard the version?

Oh, and on top of that, Corsair said i should get a kit CMK16GX4M2Z3600C18 that is not on the Asus QVL.

bout to drive me back to drinkin over here
Get the kit that is on the list and disregard any "version number." As long as the kit part number is an exact match to the one on the list it should be fine.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Get the kit that is on the list and disregard any "version number." As long as the kit part number is an exact match to the one on the list it should be fine.

Guess i gotta. Asus just told me that the version does matter...i don't think those chat people actually know. I'll take your advice and hope for the best. Thanks

I'm just an ol fart and hate change. i want to see what happens first. If one day my OS crashes due to my vulnerability, then i'll go ahead and install win 10. At least that's my current thinking :)
I despised WIn10 in it's first pre-release iterations...as I considered it initially almost as dismal as Win8.

In it's offerings of the last18-24 months, however, it's been as easy as Win7, once you set it up with things you like on the taskbar, shortcuts, and get used to "This PC" instead of 'My PC', but, even that is only needed once as it's on the taskbar...

Get it while it is still free...

Win7 was great....but, it's time has come and gone....just like Win XP :)

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I despised WIn10 in it's first pre-release iterations...as I considered it initially almost as dismal as Win8.

In it's offerings of the last18-24 months, however, it's been as easy as Win7, once you set it up with things you like on the taskbar, shortcuts, and get used to "This PC" instead of 'My PC', but, even that is only needed once as it's on the taskbar...

Get it while it is still free...

Win7 was great....but, it's time has come and gone....just like Win XP :)

I know you're right and I appreciate what you're saying. I would want to go ahead and buy my own full retail copy, not the oem and then do a fresh install. On Newegg, they want's a whopping 140bucks for home version on a flash drive. One amazon vendor has a Pro version for $125; do you think that's for real? thanks

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Worst case scenario is that you get the RAM and the .1% chance it is either DOA or doesn't work you can go to a local shop buy some off the list that you can print out while the original RAM is being returned.

Sounds like a plan; thanks. Actually, i found an asus qvl 16gb kit that was much easier to match. It had no version number. so i'm getting it. it's kingston hyper x and it was 10bucks cheaper too.
I ordered my parts today so wish me luck :)

Reactions: helper800