Question Will these setups run dual monitors without any issues?

Sipan9000

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2015
I'm Looking to build multiple office computers that all need dual monitors. I currently have two build choices that I haven't decided from:

1)
Ryzen 5 2400g
Gigabyte b450m ds3h
G.skill ripjaws v series 8gb (2x4) ddr4 2400
Sandisk ssd plus 480 gb
Raidmax xt 300W atx power supply

2)
Intel i5 9600k
msi h310m gaming plus micro atx OR asrock b365m (I havent decided on which one, any suggestions)
Rest of the system is the same as #1

We want something fast & cheap, thats why I've decided on either a r5 2400g or i5 9600k. I'm just wondering if any of these cpu's/motherboard setups are going to have any issues running 2 monitors, I also am a little confused on whether or not I will have to flash bios on the intel motherboards.

I am open to all suggestions, Thank you :)

I know for a fact that the Ryzen can drive up to 3 screens in light gaming without problem; the Intel has half the horsepower, but can also drive 3 screens.
The problem lies more with the motherboard, in fact : cheap Ryzen motherboards may get unstable when using the video out (but that's for very low end models, yours should be perfectly fine), I don't know about the Intel ones - I suspect something similar though.
Personally, I'd tend towards the Ryzen CPU: less cores but more threads, it makes using several applications more comfortable. Also, Spectre/Meltdown-like problems are solved in hardware, making maintenance far easier while Intel's vulnerability of the month require flashing all BIOSes as soon as possible.
Outside of maintenance though,
  • If your users do a lot of number crunching, the Intel may be a bit better
  • if some of your applications are more graphics-intensive (in-browser stuff, CAD display etc.), the Ryzen is best.

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
I'd suggest an Intel build for the office, the board I used for a dual screen setup in the office recently was an ASRock H370M Pro4. The reason behind the Intel choice is most office programs don't use a ton of threads, especially legacy software, making less, but stronger cores a better choice.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/hftv/saved/#view=9XVXP6

I used Intel Optane memory in this build since it was on sale and in Canada SSD prices haven't dropped quite as much as they have in the states, plus, it's maintenance free for the user and self learning.

This would be my recommendation for a business PC, swap out the i3 9100 for an i7 9700 if you feel they need more cores:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/mKT3hy

CPU: Intel - Core i3-9100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - H370M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($87.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill - FBM-06 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($40.38 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit ($139.99 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $608.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-19 11:43 EDT-0400