[SOLVED] Will this 10 year old cooler outbeat the stock 2600 ryzen stock cooler?

snahfu

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2012
I have a ZALMAN CNPS8700 which was pretty good back in the day. From my understanding an am2 cooler will fit no problem with am4s.

Does anyone know how this will perform against the stock cooler?

Newegg link:
ZALMAN CNPS8700

Solution
It could be worth trying if it managed to fit. At least compared to the Wraith Stealth that comes with the 2600, which is about half the height of the Wraith Spire, I suspect that Zalman might potentially perform better. In terms of surface area, it appears to have around double the fin count of the Stealth cooler, and is a little larger in all dimensions, with an all-copper construction. It's unlikely to compete with a modern tower cooler though.
Actually a difficult/interesting question.

Theoretically, given that processors from the past were on less efficient processes, they used a lot of power and gave off a lot of heat. Pentium D's were up to 130W. So it could cool a 130W processor, theoretically.

However they were probably also more tolerant to heat.

Looking at it, i'd not risk it, doesn't look to have the surface area and thermal mass to manage a lot of heat generation.

What do you mean pretty good? I paid $14.99 for one of those and felt ripped off because at full blast it couldn't even beat a Maxorb with a smaller fan turned all the way down. And let's face it, the Thermaltake itself was crap. However it was only 66mm tall, at a time when the stock Intel heatsink was 61mm.

The pad on the base is also pretty small as it was originally designed for a P4 with 29.5mm square IHS, while the Ryzen's is 37mm square.

Reactions: 13thmonkey
It could be worth trying if it managed to fit. At least compared to the Wraith Stealth that comes with the 2600, which is about half the height of the Wraith Spire, I suspect that Zalman might potentially perform better. In terms of surface area, it appears to have around double the fin count of the Stealth cooler, and is a little larger in all dimensions, with an all-copper construction. It's unlikely to compete with a modern tower cooler though.

Solution