[SOLVED] Will this 7 year old PSU work with a new Ryzen 5 build?

Dr_Horse

Commendable
Dec 29, 2020
Hello all

My CPU is 7 years old now and starting to bottleneck performance on newer games so time for an upgrade. I'm trying to figure out what bits I will need to replace other than the CPU, mobo and RAM and I need a bit of guidance on the PSU please.

I currently have a 7 year old OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU - the fan still runs quietly and I have no reason to suspect it is not working correctly, so I'm assuming it will be fine to use with the new set up but could someone let me know if they see any potential issues? If so, could you recommend an alternative please?

Initially I'll be replacing the cpu, mobo and RAM but gfx card and new boot ssd is probably not far behind.

Expected system following the upgrade:
Ryzen 5 2600
ASRock B550M-HDV or GIGABYTE AMD B550 GAMING X ATX (will be the asrock if it fits my case)
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
GTX 1060 6gb
Samsung SSD 840 120gb
Samsung F3 1tb
DVDRW
4 x 120mm noctua case fans and 1 x 120 sharkoon cpu fan

Many thanks!

Solution
Normal PSUs last up to around 5 years, but if you don't put in much stress, maybe even 10. I wouldn't trust it though.

I can also see you're in a similar situation like me. I'm getting a new mobo, case and PSU, and I originally wanted to use a 10 year old PSU my dad bought for his prebuilt, just temporarily though. I asked people about it and they said throw it in the garbage, so I guess there's your answer.

If you want a recommendation, try to get something that is 80 Plus bronze rated (80 Plus white might do, not sure though) in order to not cheap out on the PSU, and the 600W seems to be more than enough for your system. This is the one I'm getting: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-100-BR-0500-K1-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B07DTMXD83

ironstem

Reputable
Aug 15, 2020
Normal PSUs last up to around 5 years, but if you don't put in much stress, maybe even 10. I wouldn't trust it though.

I can also see you're in a similar situation like me. I'm getting a new mobo, case and PSU, and I originally wanted to use a 10 year old PSU my dad bought for his prebuilt, just temporarily though. I asked people about it and they said throw it in the garbage, so I guess there's your answer.

If you want a recommendation, try to get something that is 80 Plus bronze rated (80 Plus white might do, not sure though) in order to not cheap out on the PSU, and the 600W seems to be more than enough for your system. This is the one I'm getting: https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-100-BR-0500-K1-Bronze-Power-Supply/dp/B07DTMXD83

Solution
Hello all

My CPU is 7 years old now and starting to bottleneck performance on newer games so time for an upgrade. I'm trying to figure out what bits I will need to replace other than the CPU, mobo and RAM and I need a bit of guidance on the PSU please.

I currently have a 7 year old OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU - the fan still runs quietly and I have no reason to suspect it is not working correctly, so I'm assuming it will be fine to use with the new set up but could someone let me know if they see any potential issues? If so, could you recommend an alternative please?

Initially I'll be replacing the cpu, mobo and RAM but gfx card and new boot ssd is probably not far behind.

Expected system following the upgrade:
Ryzen 5 2600
ASRock B550M-HDV or GIGABYTE AMD B550 GAMING X ATX (will be the asrock if it fits my case)
Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz
GTX 1060 6gb
Samsung SSD 840 120gb
Samsung F3 1tb
DVDRW
4 x 120mm noctua case fans and 1 x 120 sharkoon cpu fan

Many thanks!
That system would be using 350W if that but for next PSU you better calculate in your future graphic card. It's bound to take much more power than now.

Back in the day, your PSU had good reviews. Unfortunately, it only has a 3 year warranty. Components within PSUs do deteriorate over the years. You might be able to get by with it for a bit but if I were you, I'd put a new PSU at somewhere near the top of my priority list.

Dr_Horse

Commendable
Dec 29, 2020
Thank you for your replies, all really useful.

I suppose a round of applause is due to OCZ for the PSU making it this far. Also a doffed cap to this forum as I would have leaned on its collective guidance for the choice of PSU back then.

Considering that 80% of the effort in a new build is installing the PSU I was leaning towards replacing anyway just so I didn't have to do it again in a couple of years.

Thanks again. Probably be back in a few days asking why my system won't post. See you then.

g-unit1111

Titan
Thank you for your replies, all really useful.

I suppose a round of applause is due to OCZ for the PSU making it this far. Also a doffed cap to this forum as I would have leaned on its collective guidance for the choice of PSU back then.

Considering that 80% of the effort in a new build is installing the PSU I was leaning towards replacing anyway just so I didn't have to do it again in a couple of years.

Thanks again. Probably be back in a few days asking why my system won't post. See you then.

Yeah PSU capacitors wear over time and your PSU won't be at full strength anymore. But that is interesting that it lasted that long.