Question Will this air cooler block the memory? please help

Apr 23, 2019
Hi there,
I'm building a new PC with ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 motherboard and i9 -9900k and i hope the
the cpu tempreture will be good on 4.2ghz ...
so I'm planing on using all the ram slots with 32gb but i'm so confused and afraid that the air cooler (DEEPCOOL GAMMAXX GT ) will not make enough clearance for ram slots so please any one can help me ? there are to option of ram :

• CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO
  • G.SKILL TridentZ RGB
Links for rams and cpu cooler :-

https://www.corsair.com/uk/en/vengeance-rgb-pro-memory

thanks .

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
  1. Do you need 32GB of memory? (Just doing it for looks?)
  2. Why are you pairing a low end cooling solution with a top of the line CPU and high end overclocking motherboard?

I would think it would be fine. You might have to locate the CPU fan a little higher than normal or swap it to the other side. Might not be adequate to keep that CPU cool under sustained load, even at stock settings.

Most people use AIO or water cooling with this chip. Those that use air coolers generally go for the big ones like the Noctua D15 or Cryorig's H5 Ultimate or Universal. The Universal is designed specifically not to interfere with memory. Phanteks TC14PE if you don't want to swap out the Noctua's fans.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jK8H99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wdkD4D/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc14pebk

Less likely to interfere from Noctua, but you lose a fan.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL7YJ/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15s

If you are going for RGB, there are some decent water coolers you can look at with light up pump housings or even programmable displays.

If that seems too expensive, you can drop nearly $60 off the motherboard with relative ease. Just need an RGB capable board with WiFi. Or use a less potent processor like the i7-8700k or i7-9700k and go for the bigger cooler. 6-core 12 thread vs 8 core vs 8core 8 thread. I suppose it depends on what you are trying to do. For just gaming the i9-9900k is a bit overkill, you get about 5% more speed out of it over the 9700k for a lot more money. Useful if you need 16 threads though.

Apr 23, 2019
  1. Do you need 32GB of memory? (Just doing it for looks?)
  2. Why are you pairing a low end cooling solution with a top of the line CPU and high end overclocking motherboard?
I would think it would be fine. You might have to locate the CPU fan a little higher than normal or swap it to the other side. Might not be adequate to keep that CPU cool under sustained load, even at stock settings.

Most people use AIO or water cooling with this chip. Those that use air coolers generally go for the big ones like the Noctua D15 or Cryorig's H5 Ultimate or Universal. The Universal is designed specifically not to interfere with memory. Phanteks TC14PE if you don't want to swap out the Noctua's fans.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jK8H99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/wdkD4D/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc14pebk

Less likely to interfere from Noctua, but you lose a fan.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/xCL7YJ/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhd15s

If you are going for RGB, there are some decent water coolers you can look at with light up pump housings or even programmable displays.

If that seems too expensive, you can drop nearly $60 off the motherboard with relative ease. Just need an RGB capable board with WiFi. Or use a less potent processor like the i7-8700k or i7-9700k and go for the bigger cooler. 6-core 12 thread vs 8 core vs 8core 8 thread. I suppose it depends on what you are trying to do. For just gaming the i9-9900k is a bit overkill, you get about 5% more speed out of it over the 9700k for a lot more money. Useful if you need 16 threads though.
I really considered an AIO but they are really bad for me and no one know how much time it gona lost with me , I mean I don't have any problem buying any one of them , but what gonna guaranty to me that it will last at least 3 years ?!
so that's why I decided to go with "Nice " looking air cooler since most of them are looking bad and I'm honestly not gonna overclock the cpu to more than 4.5ghz (for now ) so that's why I'm taking it and i think this cooler is good with the cpu overclocked to 4.5ghz right ?
I need some one to chick on Height of ram is it possible to use all slot perfectly without any change in the cooler(like making the cpu fan haigher or somthing ) i need it to be perfect if that possible because i really like this cooler .
about the ram the price is droped so i need take advantage of that .

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That CPU boosts to 5Ghz on its own, stock. You can certainly set a fixed clock speed across all cores at 4.5Ghz, probably be quite easy.

I can't give an exact answer. No one uses this cooler with that CPU, it just isn't all that suitable. So I have no examples to look at.

Short of building a 3D model of the parts.

One of the primary reasons people use AIO these days is so they can show off their fancy RGB memory. I water cool, and I still don't have RGB memory, just doesn't make sense to me. I want it to look nice, but I'm not going to be staring at all day.

Apr 23, 2019
That CPU boosts to 5Ghz on its own, stock. You can certainly set a fixed clock speed across all cores at 4.5Ghz, probably be quite easy.

I can't give an exact answer. No one uses this cooler with that CPU, it just isn't all that suitable. So I have no examples to look at.

Short of building a 3D model of the parts.

One of the primary reasons people use AIO these days is so they can show off their fancy RGB memory. I water cool, and I still don't have RGB memory, just doesn't make sense to me. I want it to look nice, but I'm not going to be staring at all day.
can you give me any air cooler that doesn't have problem with ram clearance .

Apr 23, 2019
guys i think deep cool cooler is bad decision , so I looked for another one ...

be quiet dark rock pro 4 is good one but it clearance is only 40mm and i can't move the cpu fan to install all rams also to be consider the height of ram :

- CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO
51mm
-G.SKILL TridentZ RGB

44mm

also I found good ram HyperX Predator DDR4 RGB

43mm

and the dark rock pro 4 has a ram clearance of 40mm so non of them will fit in all slot with this cooler because i can't make the cpu fan higher to fit all ram

and here i found the Noctua - NH-D15S and i can make the fan a little heigher to fit the all 4 rams .

what do you think guys is noctua is the answer?
there is another cooler with good ram clearance the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT what do you guys think about it in term of thermals ?
also my case is cooler master h500p do you think the noctua cooler will fit ?

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I guess you are after the bare metal look then. Though I am not sure how the dark rock pro works for you. Almost every implementation I have seen has very hidden memory.

Well if you are after appearances then the Noctua is an odd choice with the brown fans. Most people swap out the fans when they are doing more aesthetic builds. That is a 150mm fan, you could swap out for a 140mm fan and gain 5mm with it centered. Then it wouldn't stick up. A nice static pressure RGB fan would do.

Thermally that Le Grand Macho looks the equivalent of any of the larger air coolers. Not sure how that is all that different from the Cryorig or the Phanteks models, or even some of the simpler Noctua designs. If you think it will work and it is reasonably priced, go for it.

theycallmechris

Prominent
Nov 14, 2018
Hi Hardly, If it helps, I use a the be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 in my set-up that uses Corsair Vengeance LPX memory and from the looks of it clears the top of the RAM (I only use 16gbs for reference though). The LPX is a lower clearance RAM mind you, but the cooler is still enough that I can move the fan up a few notches for extra clearance.

For cooling, my R5 2600 has a slight OC to 4.0ghz on it and the DR4 will keep it pretty cool, usually low to mid 40's C in my case when playing games like WoW and The Hunter.

Apr 23, 2019
Hi Hardly, If it helps, I use a the be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 in my set-up that uses Corsair Vengeance LPX memory and from the looks of it clears the top of the RAM (I only use 16gbs for reference though). The LPX is a lower clearance RAM mind you, but the cooler is still enough that I can move the fan up a few notches for extra clearance.

For cooling, my R5 2600 has a slight OC to 4.0ghz on it and the DR4 will keep it pretty cool, usually low to mid 40's C in my case when playing games like WoW and The Hunter.
Nice but I'm not gonna use an LPX ram , do you see Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT cooler I think it's the answer , do yo think it will handle the thermals with i9 9900k ?(4.5ghz maximum)

Apr 23, 2019
I guess you are after the bare metal look then. Though I am not sure how the dark rock pro works for you. Almost every implementation I have seen has very hidden memory.

Well if you are after appearances then the Noctua is an odd choice with the brown fans. Most people swap out the fans when they are doing more aesthetic builds. That is a 150mm fan, you could swap out for a 140mm fan and gain 5mm with it centered. Then it wouldn't stick up. A nice static pressure RGB fan would do.

Thermally that Le Grand Macho looks the equivalent of any of the larger air coolers. Not sure how that is all that different from the Cryorig or the Phanteks models, or even some of the simpler Noctua designs. If you think it will work and it is reasonably priced, go for it.
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT cooler gives me what i want in term of aesthetic build and it gives full ram clearance but what's left is performance , can any one tell me how it will performe with maximum 4.5ghz of i9 9900k ?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not sure what the thermal output of the chip is at 4.5Ghz is, doesn't seem to be anyone out there that made such a chart. They all seemed to focus on cores loaded since that is more relevant to the overall power output. Mostly enthusiasts run MCE with all cores at 5Ghz or overclock further as long as their cooling allows.

Apparently you can set the wattage output directly if you want and limit it entirely to its 95W TDP. That would let you use most mid-range coolers but sacrifice higher clock speeds when the entire CPU is under load, but with light loads it would still boost up to 5Ghz.

At stock settings it will pull as much as 168W. Several references to 210W out there under extremely unrealistic conditions. Overclocking would be somewhere between and above those two values. (Which is why the Deepcool wasn't going to cut it)

The cooler you are wanting is quite hefty. I'm sure it will do nearly as well as some of the other options you have looked at. Certainly well enough to run the CPU. You will have to play with the voltage it takes to run all cores at 4.5Ghz.

Also note that most overclocking is done under full load conditions so that everyone has a standard to compare against. If you don't plan on that type of workload you might be able to get away with a lot less cooling. (In which case you probably don't need this CPU and could get away with something lighter)

Apr 23, 2019
Not sure what the thermal output of the chip is at 4.5Ghz is, doesn't seem to be anyone out there that made such a chart. They all seemed to focus on cores loaded since that is more relevant to the overall power output. Mostly enthusiasts run MCE with all cores at 5Ghz or overclock further as long as their cooling allows.

Apparently you can set the wattage output directly if you want and limit it entirely to its 95W TDP. That would let you use most mid-range coolers but sacrifice higher clock speeds when the entire CPU is under load, but with light loads it would still boost up to 5Ghz.

At stock settings it will pull as much as 168W. Several references to 210W out there under extremely unrealistic conditions. Overclocking would be somewhere between and above those two values. (Which is why the Deepcool wasn't going to cut it)

The cooler you are wanting is quite hefty. I'm sure it will do nearly as well as some of the other options you have looked at. Certainly well enough to run the CPU. You will have to play with the voltage it takes to run all cores at 4.5Ghz.

Also note that most overclocking is done under full load conditions so that everyone has a standard to compare against. If you don't plan on that type of workload you might be able to get away with a lot less cooling. (In which case you probably don't need this CPU and could get away with something lighter)
ok , so is this cooler( Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT) compatible with ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) Z390 motherboard ? and cooler master MasterCase h500p ? and i9 9900k

Last edited: