[SOLVED] Will this be overclockable?

Mar 25, 2020
I'm about to buy this PC, but i want to know if i can overclock the CPU and GPU with these specs. Im specially worried about the PSU? Is 650w okay?

Furthermore, if you could change anything on this build, what would it be?

It's for competetive fortnite, needing a minimum 144 fps stable.

Thanks in advance. The setup is:

AMD Ryzen 3600 op til 4.2GHz - 6 kerner 12 tråde - UNLOCKED
AMD Wraith Spire fan

Asus Dual GTX 1660 Super 6GB

ASRock b450m-HDV R4.0

16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200MHz DDr4 + 200,00 DKK

240GB M.2 SSD WD Green

650w 80+ Fourze

Fourze T155 case with extra fan in back

Solution
1)Don't overclock Ryzen 3000. It does not handle core frequency OCs in the same manner as Intel chips. It will have the opposite effect than intended.
They are very similar to Nvidia's Gpu Boost in a sense; the cooler it runs, the better it's boost clocks are going to be. Core clock OCs will increase power consumption and thermals, thus becoming pointless.
Just get a good cooler and look up guides to tweaking the memory.

2)650w and 80+ don't mean anything.
If there isn't a legit review of the unit available, it may as well be questionable. What's supposed to be the most important part of a PC is one that is often 'corner cut'.
I can't really find anything on it, other than what's already on the label...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Don't overclock Ryzen 3000. It does not handle core frequency OCs in the same manner as Intel chips. It will have the opposite effect than intended.
They are very similar to Nvidia's Gpu Boost in a sense; the cooler it runs, the better it's boost clocks are going to be. Core clock OCs will increase power consumption and thermals, thus becoming pointless.

If there isn't a legit review of the unit available, it may as well be questionable. What's supposed to be the most important part of a PC is one that is often 'corner cut'.
I can't really find anything on it, other than what's already on the label: https://www.arsadata.se/en-us/product/fourze-power-supply-650w-80/
Red Flag.

3)Even if you tried to core frequency OC the cpu regardless of the earlier warning, the motherboard doesn't look to be cut out for it anyway.
Barebones M-ATX board with no VRM heatsinks... good enough for stock operation though.

4)SSD is of low capacity, even for OS only, plus it's one of those cheap, Dram-less types.
What that means is the unit will end up performing worse than a standard HDD as it fills up.

5)Case is questionable. I wonder how much air those front fans can pull in being that close to a solid glass panel... the 8 tiny gaps on either side aren't helping things.

Solution
Mar 25, 2020

I can't really find anything on it, other than what's already on the label: https://www.arsadata.se/en-us/product/fourze-power-supply-650w-80/
Red Flag.

3)Even if you tried to core frequency OC the cpu regardless of the earlier warning, the motherboard doesn't look to be cut out for it anyway.
Barebones M-ATX board with no VRM heatsinks... good enough for stock operation though.

4)SSD is of low capacity, even for OS only, plus it's one of those cheap, Dram-less types.
What that means is the unit will end up performing worse than a standard HDD as it fills up.

5)Case is questionable. I wonder how much air those front fans can pull in being that close to a solid glass panel... the 8 tiny gaps on either side aren't helping things.

Thank you very much for the very in depth answer – I appreciate you taking your time to help me!

Could you please review it now and tell me what you think?

Is the processor cooling an overkill? Should i stick with a normal fan?
And is the Asus B450m-Plus Gaming any better? Added it to get 32GB RAM.

I've changed to PSU to Seasonic Gold to ensure the quality.

Furthermore I've added a fan in the back to make sure airflow is alright.

I also changed the SSD to 660p intel

Thank you in advance.

I changed the setup based on your shared knowledge to the following:

Processor:
AMD Ryzen 3600 op til 4.2GHz - 6 kerner 12 tråde - UNLOCKED

Processor cooling:
120mm NZXT Kraken M22 + 595,00 DKK

Graphics:
Asus Dual GTX 1660 Super 6GB

Motherboard:
Asus B450m-Plus Gaming + 290,00 DKK

RAM:
32GB G.Skill AEGIS 3000MHz + 600,00 DKK

SSD:
660p intel 512GB

650w Seasonic Focus 80+ Gold + 295,00 DKK

Case:
Fourze T155

+ Extra fan in the back

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You've made some improvements...
1)The Kraken M22 is ok, just not a cost effective cooling solution.
If available:
- Cooler Master Hyper 212
-Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
-Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B
-be quiet! Pure Rock

2)You don't need 32GBs of ram for competitive Fortnite.
2x 8GBs 3200mhz kit you had initially was just fine.

3)The case is still a cause for concern.
If you find your gpu running over 80C in game, that'll be the reason why.

Mar 25, 2020
You've made some improvements...
1)The Kraken M22 is ok, just not a cost effective cooling solution.
If available:
- Cooler Master Hyper 212
-Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo
-Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B
-be quiet! Pure Rock

2)You don't need 32GBs of ram for competitive Fortnite.
2x 8GBs 3200mhz kit you had initially was just fine.

3)The case is still a cause for concern.
If you find your gpu running over 80C in game, that'll be the reason why.

Thanks once again.

1) I can choose between "be quiet! Pure Rock" and "be quiet! Dark Rock 4"

Which should i pick then?

2) What if i plan to stream and listen to music etc, while playing?

3) Hmm, i don't understand why, when there's 3 fans in the front and i added one in the back. Would the Fourze T100 be any better? I can only pick between those two.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Whichever you're comfortable with. I wouldn't want you 'breaking the bank' on the Dark Rock 4 if you feel it's too much.

2)Depending on the streaming program, that's done by either the cpu or gpu. Ram won't come into play unless you want to run Chrome in the background with 20+ tabs open for whatever reason - but that's also going to use some cpu resources as well.
Chrome is a hungry little thing...

3)Wow! That's messed up. The reason it's an issue:
Note that the more 'obstacles' present for airflow, the weaker it is when - or if - it finally gets to the parts that need it.
-Solid front panels are one of the greatest obstacles and are most detrimental to gpu cooling more than it is for the cpu. The fans can't pull in that much air when they're that close to said front panel.
-The side intakes are another obstacle; the air has to turn, further reducing pressure.
-Even though the psu shroud does have a grille to allow air to pass through, the psu itself, as well as it's cables are going to block most of it anyway.

The T155 is better, but not by much... the top dust filter isn't needed at all. That just restricts air going out, as well as TRAPPING dust in!

Reactions: kappertherapper
Mar 25, 2020
1)Whichever you're comfortable with. I wouldn't want you 'breaking the bank' on the Dark Rock 4 if you feel it's too much.

2)Depending on the streaming program, that's done by either the cpu or gpu. Ram won't come into play unless you want to run Chrome in the background with 20+ tabs open for whatever reason - but that's also going to use some cpu resources as well.
Chrome is a hungry little thing...

3)Wow! That's messed up. The reason it's an issue:
Note that the more 'obstacles' present for airflow, the weaker it is when - or if - it finally gets to the parts that need it.
-Solid front panels are one of the greatest obstacles and are most detrimental to gpu cooling more than it is for the cpu. The fans can't pull in that much air when they're that close to said front panel.
-The side intakes are another obstacle; the air has to turn, further reducing pressure.
-Even though the psu shroud does have a grille to allow air to pass through, the psu itself, as well as it's cables are going to block most of it anyway.

The T155 is better, but not by much... the top dust filter isn't needed at all. That just restricts air going out, as well as TRAPPING dust in!

I went with the upgraded motherboard but downgraded to 16GB 3200MHz RAM and went for the Dark Rock 4 as it is $15 cheaper than the NZXT.

The thing is that Fortnite, when played on competetive graphics settings, takes up incredibly much CPU and only a little GPU. So i just wanted to ensure good cooling, but it sounds to me like the Dark Rock will do the job.

I'm not worried about the GPU temperatures since it doesn't require that much GPU power.

Sadly i can't change the case, but hopefully it will all work out. Seems to me like the final build is a fair cop. $1150 for the setup, them building it for me and delivery – $469 came from selling my previous PC.

Definitely a jungle out here trying to figure out what will work the best. Surprised how fast technology evolves – feels like i bought my previous PC yesterday.

I appreciate you so much for helping me out, ensuring that i get the best value for my money – so thank you once again!

Reactions: Phaaze88

TRENDING THREADS