Will this bottleneck too much?

camarorokr

Honorable
May 16, 2012
Hey guys, new to the forum. Got a quick question. I have a laptop DV17 which I use to play games since the computer I built a few years ago took a dump on me a few months back. As far as I could diagnose, the only thing that went bad was the video card (BFG nVidia 280 GTX OC). It has either an AMD 5200+ or 5800+ (Can't remember but don't think would make much a difference which one it is since they're both dual-core) with 4G of DDR2 PNY RAM. It has a 700 watt PSU. Here's my main concern: I just bought Diablo 3 and my DV17 laptop does not handle it too well, I figured it would since it has a 230m graphics card and a Core I7. My question is: if I buy a current high end graphics card (such as a 560 GTX Ti or 570 GTX) will it be bad for the graphics card running this kind of setup? I know it will have serious bottleneck issues but I would like to go ahead and replace the card for the meantime untill I can afford to get a new mobo/CPU?

any card over the 98gt will bottleneck some games on an amd dualcore. i know because i had the 4600x2 and 6000x2 the 6000 x2 handled my old 88gt fine but the 4600x2 bottlenecked it by about 10% if you had a 6000x2 i would say the maximum you could feasibly get away with is a gtx 260 but that would be pushing it and would bottlenck on every game by a good 5-10% or more on some...

as for the lappy you cant upgrade the gfx as your lappy wont have the required cooling.

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

probably, probably not - depends on the game - anything requiring major graphics power, will bottleneck anything weaker then either an Intel Core i3 or AMD Athlon II X2, but if the game only requires about half of the graphics power - as in games like WoW, then you might be able to get by without any major bottlenecking issues

camarorokr

Honorable
May 16, 2012

For now I'm only playing Diablo 3. My main concern is will using this new card on my old system harm it in any way? I'm considering getting a new card, I'm just wondering about hurting the card in any way?

DComander1x

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012

From what I have read about the game, any new high-end card would be just fine, as the recommended requirements list a simple Nvidia Geforce GTX 260 as the recommended graphics card.

that was totally appropriate... you give advice and some1 not only ignores it but does the complete opposite,, i think its fair to call em a dumb ass... to be fair i could call him much worse but that could get me banned... id much rather he gets the point without doing that... dumb as in not to bright to take good advice. and ass, a mule who digs its heals in and wont move, even when its in danger...

;) yeah i can do that tooo...

also id much rather you delete my posts than edit them... if you do that just send me a pm saying its done. reason? im not a fan of censorship...

camarorokr

Honorable
May 16, 2012

I missed whatever was said before. Are you referring to me as a dumbass because I got a 680 and you recommended a 260?

i recommended the gfx card that wont bottleneck your cpu (which is what you wanted to know). the 680 is just way way way to powerful for an amd 5200x2 2.6ghz cpu...

so instead of getting a gfx card that would still slightly bottleneck you got 1 that will defiantly bottleneck. but what ever. your gonna find out soon enough...
10 fps if your lucky will be your avg fps in a game like bf3...

but dont worry when you come back and ask what cpu to get i wont say i told you so. 1 insult is enough to get the point across. ;)

camarorokr

Honorable
May 16, 2012

Did you try reading the very first post? At the bottom, I clearly mentioned "until I get enough money to buy a new CPU/mobo" which in terms I'll probably be purchasing in the next month or two. I was asking about this issue regarding harming the new graphics card while being used on the old CPU/mobo. I never knew if it was possible so I figured I'd ask. But thank you for showing your true colors and being a dick. I bought the 680 so I don't end up wasting $150+ more on a card that I clearly won't be using in two to three months. But thanks anyways.