[SOLVED] Will this bottleneck?

Seamus McGinley

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2015
Hey,

Im looking about upgrading my CPU, RAM and MOBO but sticking with my gpu for financial reasons..
Im looking to build

I7-9700K (upgrade)
Corsair Vengenace 2x8 16GB 3200MHz ram (upgrade)
Z390 Mobo TBC (upgrade)
MSI GTX 970 (currently have this)

Im upgrading from an i5-4690K with 8gb ram
Bequiet 600W Gold PSU

Thanks

Solution
If it were me, I would save some money and get a 2600. Use the money you save to get a GPU upgrade. The 9700k will get about 10% better fps in games, but it cost a bunch more. AMD's Ryzen CPUs are very good and are a very good price.

If you are cost conscience, then AMD is hard to pass up. If you want nothing but the best and money is not an issue, then Intel is the choice.
If it were me, I would save some money and get a 2600. Use the money you save to get a GPU upgrade. The 9700k will get about 10% better fps in games, but it cost a bunch more. AMD's Ryzen CPUs are very good and are a very good price.

If you are cost conscience, then AMD is hard to pass up. If you want nothing but the best and money is not an issue, then Intel is the choice.

Solution

Shady42

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
that a mighty fine inference from my pathetic post there.

ok, if you want to save cash and get the biggest possible short term boost to gaming performance then upgrade the gfx card first to what ever you can afford - perhaps GTX1080ti and an extra 8GB of ram if possible? - then upgrade rest of system later.

alternatively go for a more reasonable card like 1070ti and get the ryzen setup.

I agree with feelinfroggy that getting a ryzen 2600 would save a lot of cash over the 9700k for only a few % loss in performance.

thats my take on it (from personal experience - i was able to run all modern games i tried at max with an i7 950 + GTX1080 while i saved for the rest of my system)

others will likely scream BOTTLENECK at me and they'll be right but its better than the GTX970 bottlenecking a ryzen 2600/9700k

g-unit1111

Titan

A 970 isn't a terrible card depending on what monitor resolution you're working with. If it's 1080P I wouldn't see much of a reason to upgrade that just yet. You could upgrade to the aforementioned setup and then when the 2060 cards are released you could go to those since they would be about the same range as the 970s now but would be able to support higher resolutions.