Build Advice Will this build adequately support a 1440p, 144hz monitor? What about an ultra wide 1440p, 144 hz monitor?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends what titles you play and what settings you want to aim for.
For example, in the handful of titles I play, I can do a mix of low-high settings and achieve 144FPS with a 1070.

If you're shooting for Max/Ultra settings, then you'll probably fall short in some noteable titles. If you're prepared to play around with settings a little bit, it would serve you very well.

While individually, they're trivial... there are some tweaks you could make to bring the cost down without sacrificing performance or quality:
  1. You can get a 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD for $95 outright, without the hassle of rebates.
  2. SeaSonic's FOCUS Gold 750W is $96
  3. Try to establish if you need Pro, or if Home would suffice.
  4. Unless you truly want the RGB, there's ~$30 to be saved on a kit of memory for the same speed & timings.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y7tKyX
$140 back in your pocket, and only two mail in rebates to deal with.

As an aside
I'm not looking to meet 144 fps 100% of the time but at least 80 or 90 fps 70% of the time.
If you meet 144FPS 100% of the time, there's no need to worry about 80 or 90 FPS :LOL:
I know what you were trying to say though.

Jul 22, 2019
Oops I forgot to specify the games. I will be playing Monster Hunter World, FFXV, and Nier Automata to start when I built this rig. Cyberpunk 2077 is looking like something I'll definitely get as well. I'll be getting VR at one point or another, just waiting for the price to drop some more.

While individually, they're trivial... there are some tweaks you could make to bring the cost down without sacrificing performance or quality:
  1. You can get a 1TB Intel 660p NVME SSD for $95 outright, without the hassle of rebates.
  2. SeaSonic's FOCUS Gold 750W is $96
  3. Try to establish if you need Pro, or if Home would suffice.
  4. Unless you truly want the RGB, there's ~$30 to be saved on a kit of memory for the same speed & timings.
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Y7tKyX
$140 back in your pocket, and only two mail in rebates to deal with.

I'm going down the deep end for aesthetics this time.

1. I'm not interested in getting NVME at this time because I won't be utilizing the speeds available on them.

2. I already own the EVGA G2 Supernova 750W. I bought it a couple years ago thinking I would replace my current PSU but never did.

3. I'm looking for the Unicorn Barf mode for RGB and while I hate how expensive the Corsair LL120 RGB fans are, they do appear to be the brightest ones out right now.

My budget is ~$2000 just for parts so I'm okay for now.

How do you think this build would be able to handle Ultra Wide 1400p, 144 hz monitor say at high?

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
1. I'm not interested in getting NVME at this time because I won't be utilizing the speeds available on them.

This part I'd focus on. While you don't need the speeds, the 660p is cheaper, would perform a little better than the Crucial drive, and wouldn't need to worry about the extra cabling, helping the aesthetics side of thigs.
Not a big deal, and I wouldn't advocate spending more on one... but for your needs, I don't see any reason not to.

My budget is ~$2000 just for parts so I'm okay for now.

At $2k, you should still be able to achieve what you want - but might benefit from allocating some more of the budget towards a better GPU. Hard to say though, as the see noticeable gains over an XT, you do have to spend a good amount more.

How do you think this build would be able to handle Ultra Wide 1440p, 144 hz monitor say at high?

I'm not too familiar with most of the titles you listed, but I do know Monster Hunter World was fairly unoptimized for a long time. Not sure if that's still the card? 1440p, maxed out needed a 1080TI to drive 60FPS at one point. Not sure about now.

As for 1440p 21:9.... it would handle it, but I suspect 144FPS in the titles you play (assuming they support it) might be a bit of a stretch at "high:"

Jul 22, 2019
This part I'd focus on. While you don't need the speeds, the 660p is cheaper, would perform a little better than the Crucial drive, and wouldn't need to worry about the extra cabling, helping the aesthetics side of thigs.
Not a big deal, and I wouldn't advocate spending more on one... but for your needs, I don't see any reason not to.

I'll be bringing my current ssd and hdd over to the new as well but thanks the the way the case is set up, luckily I can just mount all three behind the mobo.

At $2k, you should still be able to achieve what you want - but might benefit from allocating some more of the budget towards a better GPU. Hard to say though, as the see noticeable gains over an XT, you do have to spend a good amount more.

Yeah, looking at the popular benchmarks from youtube I would probably need a 2080 ti to actually outclass the 5700 XT and it's like 3x the price :(

I'm not too familiar with most of the titles you listed, but I do know Monster Hunter World was fairly unoptimized for a long time. Not sure if that's still the card? 1440p, maxed out needed a 1080TI to drive 60FPS at one point. Not sure about now.

As for 1440p 21:9.... it would handle it, but I suspect 144FPS in the titles you play (assuming they support it) might be a bit of a stretch at "high:"

Monster Hunter World has gotten better. My friend plays it on a 1060 with no issues at 1080p so I'm thinking the 5700 XT should do 1440p without major issues.

Thanks for helping me out man. I appreciate it.

Btw, is there any compatibility issues with this build?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I'll be bringing my current ssd and hdd over to the new as well but thanks the the way the case is set up, luckily I can just mount all three behind the mobo.

Ah. That makes much more sense then.

What all do you currently have that you'll be migrating over? We've now established SSD, HDD and PSU?

Btw, is there any compatibility issues with this build?

Nothing jumping out at me, no.

If you want to go the RGB barf route, it's going to be a little tough with that Noctua (I run an NH-D15 myself with Chromax... no RGB here!).
You might want to consider an AIO liquid cooler to bring some more bling to the table, as well as letting that RAM "shine".

The case isn't ideal from an airflow perspective, although it's not too bad. Just to give you a couple of considerations,..... I really like the Meshify C.... but the white variant maintains a lot of black, so not for everyone:
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BB...te-tg-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-wt-tgc#

And, just recently I was very pleasantly surprised by how well built the Phanteks P300 is for $60 !!
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/g2...-p300-white-atx-mid-tower-case-ph-ec300ptg_wt
You do drop to only a single fan mount on the top, but you can do some decent work in there, and airflow really wasn't bad at all.
2.jpg

Jul 22, 2019
If you want to go the RGB barf route, it's going to be a little tough with that Noctua (I run an NH-D15 myself with Chromax... no RGB here!).
You might want to consider an AIO liquid cooler to bring some more bling to the table, as well as letting that RAM "shine".

I'm getting the Noctua NH-D15 myself as well but unfortunately with the Chromax heatsink cover that I plan to get (not found on pcpartpicker) I'm very limited on cases. I've looked at the Meshify S2 and C from Fractual but it's just not the look I like. The NZXT H700 has a removable front panel and top panel so in terms of airflow I can always remove panels if I need to. Gamer Nexus did a video comparing these cases and the NZXT is like 5C warmer. Also, the TDP for Ryzen 3700X is like a base of 65W :)

The Corsair LL120 RGB Fans are static pressure fans too. I think realistically 3 is all I need and the case comes with 4 static pressure fans too.

You're right about the RAM though, I been thinking about switching it out since the big NH-D15 will block at least one of the sticks.

TRENDING THREADS