Will this build last?

Apr 27, 2018
Hi there,
I'm currently in the process of planning an upgrage for my PC and I'm looking for some opinions as to whether this PC will last me.

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/BNGbhy

I want a PC that will last me for many many years. I understand that the graphics card will need to be upgraded one day but I'm planning on waiting because of those pesky bitcoin miners. The parts labelled purchased are what I have in my PC at the moment and plan on transferring over. The rest are what I have picked.

Thank you!

gosubuilder

Commendable
Apr 21, 2017

What is your budget?

prices of video cards have already fallen to almost pre-mining craze levels.
the current prices are generally only about 30-50 higher than when i bought mine.

example on newegg

I don't know how much more the prices of 1070-1080ti's will go down once the next gen cards hit the shelves.

over all that's a pretty good build for that budget. I'm a fan of asus mobos myself though. the main thing i might suggest is picking a better PSU.

Over time the main things you'll be replacing is the graphics card or add more ram down the road. on my older build i upgraded the vid card twice before i built myself a new computer and ended up also adding ram.

Apr 27, 2018
Taking a look, I think that your build will last for a while. Intel i5s are pretty well off without upgrades, and you could always overclock it with sufficient cooling.

I don't know how old your purchased parts are, but overall, it should last a decently long time (best estimate is 4-8 years.)

Yes that build should last a long time, especially if you overclock. i5-2500K is still a totally viable CPU today unless you want absolute performance. Which just goes to show how long CPUs last these days.

AMD equivalent. Same price level but with faster RAM and with the extra hyperthreads for a 6c/12t compared to the i5 just 6c.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor (£192.20 @ Box Limited)
Motherboard: MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard (£115.98 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£154.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: ADATA - Ultimate SU800 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card (Purchased For £0.00)
Case: Zalman - R1 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (Purchased For £0.00)
Total: £463.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-04-27 17:30 BST+0100

Apr 27, 2018

Why would you recommend a better PSU, that one seems to be able to handle the load that the PC would give.

Also, I didn't realise graphics card prices has dropped, I still think I'll hold off for a while. I'm trying to keep a low budget as I am only 15. Thanks though

Apr 27, 2018

You say sufficient cooling, would that CPU cooler I selected not be able to keep temperatures low enough If to say I were to overclock to around 4.2 to 4.4?

Apr 27, 2018

Interesting... To be honest I never even considered getting an AMD CPU because everyone I've known have had Intel processors. I'll check it out, thanks!

Apr 27, 2018
Your PSU is definitely fine for this build. Your CPU fan is definitely fine for overclocking between 4.2-4.4 ghz. You should have fans inside your chassis, which would help cooling.

According to https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/jK8H99/cryorig-cpu-cooler-h5universal, the CPU fan you have can idle between 25-30 degrees idle and 69-73 degrees under 100% load, which is excellent. Go ahead and overclock, but be cautious and monitor temps if things start to go wacky.

gosubuilder

Commendable
Apr 21, 2017

If you are spending that much on unlocked cpu/mobo and other parts why wouldn't you get invest in a solid psu? psu is the last thing you should skimp on.