Question Will this build work/ any errors or hiccups?

Jun 23, 2019
So i am building an entry level pc and i was wondering if the i3 - 9100f would fit into the Z390 without any issues, the H and B boards don't work because it says something along the lines you need to update the bios with a newer CPU and obviously this is my first time so i'm not spending money on 2 cpu's if that's the case i would literally keep the better one.
Link here https://pcpartpicker.com/list/z9LZ6s

NOTE the errors im getting are
"
  • Note:The motherboard M.2 slot #1 shares bandwidth with a SATA 6.0 Gb/s port. When the M.2 slot is populated, one SATA 6.0 Gb/s port is disabled.
  • Note:Some physical dimension restrictions cannot (yet) be automatically checked, such as cpu cooler / RAM clearance with modules using tall heat spreaders.
"
Even if i use stock cooler it says the same thing with the dimensions, as far as m.2 im not sure which sata port would be disabled.
I also have another budget build that i'd like to consider in - case i reconsider it as to expensive for the price point here
If wondering why i dont have a gpu i'm considering using the APU instead and buy a better gpu and monitor after i can afford it.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
The Z390 also needs a pretty recent bios to make that I3 work. It's from "2019/3/26" so might well be it doesn't have it on there as well since very recent.
Also the windows drive is with 128gb not that big especially since you don't include a hdd.

A second gen Ryzen is about to come out so might want to wait for it's release (somewhere next month) and see what it does with current Ryzen prices and maybe it will even influence Intel.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019
The Z390 also needs a pretty recent bios to make that I3 work. It's from "2019/3/26" so might well be it doesn't have it on there as well since very recent.
Also the windows drive is with 128gb not that big especially since you don't include a hdd.

A second gen Ryzen is about to come out so might want to wait for it's release (somewhere next month) and see what it does with current Ryzen prices and maybe it will even influence Intel.
I already have an hdd with 1tb from my previous laptop and it has all my games, the 128 ssd is for bootup, i have a sata m.2 in mine so i don't believe it'll fit and really about the z390? so is there no way i can update the MBD? And i'm aware with ryzen releasing their new 3rd gen line-up it's just i'm trying to go for a very more budget build that i can start off as entry level. especially if i use any of the ryzen 3 chips it's still compatible with ryzen 5 and 7 so i can always upgrade down the road.

Jun 23, 2019
I'd go along with the Ryzen system and get the graphics card too. You'll save more money than the first one even if you removed the GPU from the first system.
So with the ryzen choice should i get the r3 1200 or 1300x? Along with a rx 570 4gb? or should i just stick with my original intent and keep the r3 2200g or the r5 2400g?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Think the sata M.2 in the laptop will be the same format as the one on desktop pc's so see no reason not to use it again if performance is still good.

For updating that motherboard do you need a supported cpu. And that goes the same for B360 and other motherboards of this socket so for that matter could you make it cheaper and buy a decent B360/H370 motherboard. I know that Asrock comes with a sticker on the bios chip which tells what bios it is delivered with. Maybe the vendor can check for you if the motherboards in store have a compatible bios or is wiling to update it for you (maybe for a small fee).

You could start with a Ryzen 1200/1300X/1400 to start with a budget build of course,the 1300x+1400 can be pretty close in price. Get a decent motherboard with it. Something with a B450 chipset at least and a decent vrm.

Last edited: