[SOLVED] Will this build work with ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4?

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
Hello. I consider putting together a new PC and I want to keep costs reasonable.

I have actually already ordered a 1TB 970 EVO Plus for my current PC, with an M.2 adapter as its available port is not PCIe3.0 x4 (and the PCIe3.0 x16 is available), but I started to look for components for a completely new PC and this seemed good:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Crucial Ballistix 16x2 3600MHz CL16
Samsung EVO 970 Plus 1TB + 250GB
Possibly Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8GB (I would buy something simpler if I could find used GPU)
Corsair RM750x

And the MB is ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4

I've seen a couple of somewhat more expensive options that I am not sure are any better other than providing USB 3.2 gen2 ports instead of gen1, but does that matter much?

My question is whether should everything fit together, plus this board has one M.2 port that is PCIe4.0 x4 and another M.2 port is only PCIe3.0 x2, which is half the stated bandwidth requirement for the EVO 970. So could I put one of the SSDs in one of the faster regular PCIe slots (using the adapter) and have everything work and enough place for the video card?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I want to keep the build cheaper where possible, but I don't know whether the voltage management improvement on the more expensive options are much better or not.

There are some motherboards with very poor VRMs which run really hot, which can be an issue with the bigger CPUs. The 3600 however is only 65W so should be fine. The issue would come if you wanted to change it for a higher core chip at some point in the future.
Having said that I think it is worth avoiding a motherboard with a poor VRM solution regardless of which CPU you will use.

And I look at the reviews here https://www.newegg.com/global/il-en/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro/p/N82E16813145215

and a bunch of people complained they have USB connectivity...

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
There are no answers yet, but I also want to know whether it is worth the additional $85 to get the ASRock B550 Velocita instead?

It seems mostly similar but its voltage regulation is 14 phases instead of 8, and from what I gather that could help keeping temperatures lower? It also has some USB 3.2 gen2 ports, but that's less critical.

There are no answers yet, but I also want to know whether it is worth the additional $85 to get the ASRock B550 Velocita instead?

It seems mostly similar but its voltage regulation is 14 phases instead of 8, and from what I gather that could help keeping temperatures lower? It also has some USB 3.2 gen2 ports, but that's less critical.
I would pick something else like maybe an MSI B550-A Pro if I didn't want to spend too much

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
I would pick something else like maybe an MSI B550-A Pro if I didn't want to spend too much
What about the Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC?

It is priced like the ASRock Velocita but its connectors are slightly better rated (for example, the secondary M.2 is 3.0 x4 instead of x2). The VRM is advertised as 12 + 2 phases, is that the same as ASRock stating 14 phases?

What about the Gigabyte Aorus Pro AC?

It is priced like the ASRock Velocita but its connectors are slightly better rated (for example, the secondary M.2 is 3.0 x4 instead of x2). The VRM is advertised as 12 + 2 phases, is that the same as ASRock stating 14 phases?
I thought you wanted a cheap board? The Aorus Pro AC is $190 although it does look like a nice board. The non Wifi version is $20 cheaper if you use ethernet.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
I thought you wanted a cheap board? The Aorus Pro AC is $190 although it does look like a nice board. The non Wifi version is $20 cheaper if you use ethernet.
I want to keep the build cheaper where possible, but I don't know whether the voltage management improvement on the more expensive options are much better or not.

And I look at the reviews here https://www.newegg.com/global/il-en/gigabyte-b550-aorus-pro/p/N82E16813145215

and a bunch of people complained they have USB connectivity issues. But I haven't seen one MB that received perfect reviews (the ASRock seems more consistent, though).

Does the ASUS have any pros over the other options other than the x570, which I read might not really matter?

There are some motherboards with very poor VRMs which run really hot, which can be an issue with the bigger CPUs. The 3600 however is only 65W so should be fine. The issue would come if you wanted to change it for a higher core chip at some point in the future.
Having said that I think it is worth avoiding a motherboard with a poor VRM solution regardless of which CPU you will use.

and a bunch of people complained they have USB connectivity issues. But I haven't seen one MB that received perfect reviews (the ASRock seems more consistent, though).
I don't pay much attention to reviews on e-commerce sites. Not since I saw a video of a fake review factory using hundreds of mobile phones to post reviews.

Does the ASUS have any pros over the other options other than the x570, which I read might not really matter?

The Asus X570 TUF boards got a pretty good reputation, but no not really anything amazing that stands out. I think I would pick Asus or Gigabyte over Asrock but perhaps that is just my bias.

Pick a board that has the features that are important to you.

Solution

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014

I don't pay much attention to reviews on e-commerce sites. Not since I saw a video of a fake review factory using hundreds of mobile phones to post reviews.

The Asus X570 TUF boards got a pretty good reputation, but no not really anything amazing that stands out. I think I would pick Asus or Gigabyte over Asrock but perhaps that is just my bias.

Pick a board that has the features that are important to you.
Well, I did read on the THW review for the Velocita that it was the least hot MB of the group they compared. The Gigabyte one wasn't tested so I can't compare.

I do have a Gigabyte Z97 on my current PC and this PC had issues with randomly powering off, especially after returning from sleep mode. Could be the motherboard. The reviews also need to be from purchasers, so do you think they might have bought their own ASRock motherboards in large amounts and gave themselves mostly positive reviews? I simply am not sure that negative reviews about a specific returning issue with the USB would be from fake reviewers, but who knows.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
I don't know. Better to read reviews from hardware review sites is all I meant. If you like the Velocita then buy it. As I said earlier it does look like a nice motherboard.
It is probably good enough, but because my brother started telling me he bought a motherboard with WiFi and Bluetooth and that the better option is one that supports it, while the Gigabyte one with AC is just 12 or so dollars more expensive than the non-AC version so perhaps it is worth getting it for the same price as the ASRock. Although his motherboard supports something like 1.73Gbps vs 433Mbps and BT 5 vs 4.2, but I doubt it would matter to me as I'll probably not use it much.

Anyway, as I said I'm most concerned about some reviewers' repeating complaints about USB issues. I assume the reviews that gave positive reviews didn't have these, so the question is what caused the issue.

TLTH

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2014
If you need wifi it is cheaper to get it included on the motherboard usually than buy an add-in card. I find cables more reliable though personally.
Maybe there would be an occasional use, not sure really, but the difference is small enough to put a few more dollars.

The price I reach though, not including the 1TB SSD I already ordered earlier, with the PSU I'll buy locally and not including the video card (which I hope to find used cheaply) and no case, is already ~$950. A bit more than I wanted but I shouldn't make the build completely budget, I suppose.

I wonder where will I get a decent case from, because I see even these start at $100 or so.

TRENDING THREADS