Will this build work?

mralexking

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yY6tRG

This is an editing/content creation station (photo, video, design), so I do not need a graphics card. My personal requirements were to have an i7, 16gb ram, and an ssd while minimizing costs. I got it $660! (If you would like to build a more efficient system for me, my budget is under $700. I would consider an i5 build if it is 500-600)

Will this build work, and is it good for what I need? I am not worried about buying good parts for later expansion because since it is $660, I thought I would use it for a few years and see if my content creation takes me further to purchase a more powerful workstation.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Try some other units?
Also I'd get 550W by the way, in case you ever decide to pop in a midrange GPU later on ;
Corsair CX550M
Seasonic SSR-550RM
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 550W
EVGA SUPERNOVA G3 550W (probably the best unit out there)
EVGA SUPERNOVA GS 550W
Corsair RM550X
Seasonic S12II 520W
Seasonic M12II 520W (note this and the S12II, you should disable the haswell sleep states)
Rosewill Capstone is actually a decent one made by SuperFlower, who's behind the Leadex and EVGA G2/G3 lines of power supplies.

Some suggestions I threw out here - yes most are around $80 but the quality is great on them. I've read a lot of stories of the original CX "Builder" series power supplies crapping out, probably why they're so cheap.
1) Pay attention to the H110 motherboard needing BIOS updates - make sure you're buying fresh stock, have a PC shop that can update in the event you need to update before using, or get one/buy from a friend. It won't work with a kaby lake chip without the right BIOS

2) I'd get a better power supply personally. While a Corsair CX430 will probably be fine for non gaming loads, me being a snob I'd up it to a newer CX450M which is a safer bet.

mralexking

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Why is the difference between 430 and 430m $100? :(

mralexking

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Oh for some reason it is 130+ on newegg. Turns out it was for the full modular.

Try some other units?
Also I'd get 550W by the way, in case you ever decide to pop in a midrange GPU later on ;
Corsair CX550M
Seasonic SSR-550RM
EVGA SUPERNOVA G2 550W
EVGA SUPERNOVA G3 550W (probably the best unit out there)
EVGA SUPERNOVA GS 550W
Corsair RM550X
Seasonic S12II 520W
Seasonic M12II 520W (note this and the S12II, you should disable the haswell sleep states)
Rosewill Capstone is actually a decent one made by SuperFlower, who's behind the Leadex and EVGA G2/G3 lines of power supplies.

Some suggestions I threw out here - yes most are around $80 but the quality is great on them. I've read a lot of stories of the original CX "Builder" series power supplies crapping out, probably why they're so cheap.

Solution