rand486

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Hi all,

Was wondering if either of these cases (links below) will fit the MSI G41M4-F Motherboard, and a low-profile ATI 5570. Also, will the PSU(s) be able to handle a core2 duo and the video card? I'm a bit sketched out by no-name power supplies, don't know if I can trust them to put out the power I need.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6021177&csid=ITD&body=MAIN
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6430029&CatId=3428

EDIT: If you have other suggestions of small cases (mATX or ITX) that preferably come with a PSU capable of this, they're certainly welcome!

Thanks!

Solution
Although neither Ultra nor Xion are known for quality PSUs, the HD5570 is sufficiently undemanding that either of those units should be able to handle it without issues.
If in doubt, Seasonic and FSP both make well-reviewed TFX and SFX PSUs that would be suitable. The Sugo SG-05 comes with one of the FSP ones.

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
Maybe- Not sure about them, anyway, i would advise on other cases. also most cases with psu sold in/with, are low performance units that wont run high performance Gpus.
Well, for 5570, it should be fine, but it wont be future proof, try some of Cooler master/antec/nzxt cases that fit your budget.

rand486

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks!

Any specific suggestions on cases/power supplies?

I'm not really intending on "future proofing" as it's needs are pretty static both now and 3-5 years from now. It has to support 1080p video and run some specific older games. (It's serving as a media server, hooked up to my LCD TV)

That's why I'm using "older" hardware, instead of an i3/5/7 friendly build.

Although neither Ultra nor Xion are known for quality PSUs, the HD5570 is sufficiently undemanding that either of those units should be able to handle it without issues.
If in doubt, Seasonic and FSP both make well-reviewed TFX and SFX PSUs that would be suitable. The Sugo SG-05 comes with one of the FSP ones.

Solution

55Range

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Well then, as I said before, a case w/o psu, a cooler master , antec/nzxt or any other you like, these three are amongst the best. As for psu, a cm power duo 500w, quite cheap, will do just fine..

rand486

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I'm having a really hard time finding SFX PSU's... should I be searching for them under another name?

Also, is it safe to say I could just get the Xion case for 49.99, and ditch the PSU? Cooling will still be OK?

Thanks again!

rand486

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm surprised you're willing to go as low as 300 W to run the computer. This will still handle the draw even a few years down the road?

Also, I don't see where some of the PSU's say they will fit a low-profile mATX case. They clearly say they fit mATX, but I'm paranoid about the low-profile bit. Any clarification there?

rand486

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2010
True enough, but "many oem pcs" do not have video cards.

After some serious reading last night, it seems the draw from the processor and video card really are quite low. Not to mention most PSU calculators have my machine rated to draw about 220-240 W at full load.

I'm driving out to Tigerdirect tonight to pick up the Xion case, and I'll order a Seasonic asap. While waiting for it to arrive, I'll just use the crappy PSU.

Thanks all!

TRENDING THREADS