[SOLVED] Will this clearance around the case be enough for airflow?

Mar 13, 2020
Hello,

I've been thinking about upgrading my computer and thus also wanted to get a new case. Unfortunately, my desk comes with a cabinet ( we all make mistakes ) that severely restricts the size I can get.

The case I've been looking at would barely fit with the sides ( 21 cm )

0vXNAyK.png

The back of the cabinet is entirely open and so is the front, as you can see. There will also be space towards the top of the case.

Is this going to be okay?

Unfortunately, I can't remove the walls around the case which I considered, but they're apparently stuck to the shelving next to it which is incredibly annoying.

Solution
I would say that it is not optimal, but it's also not "life-threatening." When I used to game as a young boy, my family had the "family computer and family desk" combo which was similar in style. We used it for years without issue.

If you are trying to minimize/maximize performance, then I wouldn't use the shelf. But then again, what is the airflow potential of this case anyway? Is this top of the line hardware? Do you have heat/temperature issues already? If not, don't worry about it.

Fixing this could be as simple as putting something else in that shelving space (like the bass for your sound).

Try leaving it on for 15-20 minutes under a high load (with an intense video game running or something) and monitor the internal...

ammonv

Prominent
Sep 26, 2018
I would say that it is not optimal, but it's also not "life-threatening." When I used to game as a young boy, my family had the "family computer and family desk" combo which was similar in style. We used it for years without issue.

If you are trying to minimize/maximize performance, then I wouldn't use the shelf. But then again, what is the airflow potential of this case anyway? Is this top of the line hardware? Do you have heat/temperature issues already? If not, don't worry about it.

Fixing this could be as simple as putting something else in that shelving space (like the bass for your sound).

Try leaving it on for 15-20 minutes under a high load (with an intense video game running or something) and monitor the internal temperatures with some software like MSI Afterburner. If the temps are in the safe zone, you are in the clear. Keep it well cleaned of dust and you shouldn't have any major concerns.

Reactions: Iscelais
Solution
Mar 13, 2020
Hello!

After a bit of back and forth I've decided that it would probably be better to abandon the cabinet.

The case in question is a Thermaltake View 32 TG RGB Midi-Tower, so general airflow should be good. I'll most likely purchase a side table for my desk to put the new case on so there will be no restrictions whatsoever anymore and put something else into that space.

Thank you very much for the input, however! My current case had no issues with heat in the cabinet, but then this case is also significantly smaller than any of the new ones I've looked at, and had two additional fans in it as well.