Question Will this combo work?

spjuver

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
I have Kingston Fury 32Gb (4x8) DDR4 3000Mhz memory in my computer. I recently bought Kingston Fury 32Gb (2x16) DDR4 3200Hz memory and my computer is failing to boot. Is there any way to make it work with ASUS X-99A II mobo.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthre...e-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-overview

Getting 2 sticks to match up isn't overly hard. Getting 4 sticks from 2 different kits can be problematic. 6 sticks can be a royal pain but chances are mediocre at best. 8 sticks from 2 seperate kits can be near impossible.

If you think of it in terms of ppl, it makes more sense, you take a husband and wife, they meet up with another couple, chances are ok to get 4 friends, but there's a good possibility one husband will be not cool with his wife getting along with the other dude. Make that 3 couples, and chances of problems go way up.

And you have 2 different kits of ram that need to mesh. You might get lucky with some timings adjustments, system agent or memory controller or even ram voltage bumps up 0.05v or you may be totally out of luck.

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
So 32gb ram works fine on its own but combined with 16gb pair is not working at all. Is there any work around to make them pair?
Are you putting the 32gb and the 16gb together at the same time? If that is what you are doing then it is the cause of all your problems. I don't know if you can make the 4x8 + 2x 16 compatible.

spjuver

Honorable
Jun 9, 2016
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz PC-25600 (2x16GB) CL16

This is the memory I have now and I thought to build on top of that with new kits of 2x16. Do I need to buy exactly the same RAM or can I use another brand, different frequency or latency? Do all the mentioned stuff need to match?

artavasdes

Prominent
Nov 28, 2019
Kingston HyperX Fury Black 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz PC-25600 (2x16GB) CL16

This is the memory I have now and I thought to build on top of that with new kits of 2x16. Do I need to buy exactly the same RAM or can I use another brand, different frequency or latency? Do all the mentioned stuff need to match?
Yeah, if you want to add on to the 2x16 you have, you have to make sure they are the same brand, frequency, latency, etc. And even somethings from the same kit for ideal performance.