Will this CPU and PC build run games like GTA V and future releases like Dark Souls 3 decently?

SoulHunter___

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
I'm not too stingy, I suffered with an laggy 20fps half life campaign with a i5. And now I'm a little better. It some aspects* But I want to be able to *atleast* run games like GTA V and Fallout 4, and future games like Dark Souls 3, etc. at a *runnable* framerate, as in preferably over 30fps, so it doesn't lag. As much. I get amazed when people run games like darksouls and witcher 3 at 50-60fps. Not that this matters but whatever parts I don't list here are going to be used from my other desktop, ie wireless receiver, harddrive(PC listed at bottom).(I also check compatibility between the parts I plan to buy and the parts from the old pc at PCPartPicker)

Parts I plan to buy(will replace previous parts obviously):
-CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz Black Edition
-Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ATX
-Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R7 370 R7 GAMING 4G
-RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 12GB (3x4GB) DDR3-1333
(I will be adding this to the ram I am buying, only part ill be keeping that I'm getting a new part of aswell) +(old pc)Patriot Signature 8GB (1x8GB) DDR3-1600

I just want to know if this will be able to do what I want. I want to be able to play next gen stuff without paying $400 for a next gen console.

The desktop I have right now is awful, I rarely get more than 20fps, and the only exception is COD 4 at 40fps. I also use 20% of cpu on local processes and 60% of cpu running videos online and internet pages(which doesn't seem right to me). I bought it from cybertron pc(http://www.cybertronpc.com/customkititems~kc~gm1293c~group~home~cat~gamers.htm please don't as why the link says what it says, it takes you to my current build. I can't explain why it says what it does in the url) and they say apparently "Powered by an AMD A4-5300 3.40 GHz Dual-Core Processor, 8GB of DDR3 Memory and AMD Radeon HD 7480D Graphics, the Patriot delivers a solid gaming experience." which is funny because both crappy intel i3's and pentium's run a good amount better than it. Not really that "solid".
Then again it also says "Provides raw processing speed and power capable of handling your most intensive games; Delivers massive storage space for your games, movies, music and other important parts of your digital worlds; Provides a stable and reliable environment for your all your computing needs; Delivers smooth frame rates even during intense gaming" but even unintense non-demanding games lag a good bit. I can't even run viscera cleanup. Only positive is my 1TB Toshiba Hard Drive.

1) FX-8350 is not worth it at all. It is pretty much a slightly overclocked FX-8320 for $30 more which is outrageous.

2) You could go Intel i5 if you find a good deal for it as it is way better than the FX CPUs, especially in single core performance aka games that use 1-4 cores.

3) Do NOT buy the extra RAM. You don't need more than 8GB for gaming. Stick with the RAM from your old PC and don't bother buying new RAM.

4) For the same price, you can get GTX 950 which beats the 370 in everything: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013XFK0R6/?tag=pcpapi-20
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-geforce-gtx-950-strix,4270.html

5) Don't forget to get a power supply. EVGA Supernova GS, G2, P2, B2 are high quality PSUs I recommend. XFX TS Series is also good.

Cheers :)

GTX 960 has a 128-bit bus which cannot properly utilize more than 2GB of VRAM so buying the 4GB version of that particular card is almost a waste of money. The only exception to that is the Assassin's Creed game where you can see the difference between the 2GB and 4GB model but that is only an exeption - the card is generally not powerful enough to require more than 2GB to work with it.

SoulHunter___

Reputable
Nov 24, 2015
Thanks for all your input guys, but I ended up getting the parts I listed and they turned out fantastic. I can run Fallout 4 and GTA V at the highest graphics setting, with a almost 99% solid 60FPS and only use like 10% of my processing power compared to my old parts that ran fallout 4 on the lowest settings at 5fps with incredible lag. So I'm actually pretty satisfied.

Although what temperature should my graphics card be at? I mean it doesn't feel hot but it says 41C/105F on afterburner which seems hot. Is that a decent temp area for the graphics card?

41 degrees is a very cool temp for a GPU. You're fine.

TRENDING THREADS