Question Will this CPU be compatible with B450M Motherboard?

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Hi! I have a MSI B450M GAMING PLUS Motherboard, and i want to buy a Ryzen 5 3600g CPU, will they be 100% compatible?
Right now i have Ryzen 5 3400g but i'm having some serious compatibility issue with booting up the system, so maybe buying a Ryzen 5 3600g CPU will address the problem...

My current system specs:

System:Windows 10(64 bit )

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 3400G

Memory: Viper 4 2x8 DDR4 3200MHz

Disk: ADATA SX900 ATA Device 64 GB SDD + Toshiba DT01ACA200 ATA Device 2000 GB HDD + SAMSUNG HD502HI ATA Device 500 GB HDD

Display adapter:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780(3.00 GB)

Motherboard:
MSI B450M GAMING PLUS

Monitor: Samsung c24f390 24" LED Curved Monitor

Power Supply: CP 750W combat power

Thank you all!

logainofhades

Titan
Going to a 3600g will not solve your problem. You need a bios update, to support either. Your board does support bios flashback, though, so you can get the needed bios update, for your board. If you are not comfortable with that, easy option is a 2400g, or an 2600/2600x.

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Going to a 3600g will not solve your problem. You need a bios update, to support either. Your board does support bios flashback, though, so you can get the needed bios update, for your board. If you are not comfortable with that, easy option is a 2400g, or an 2600/2600x.

Oh ok,
Do i have to unplug everything on my Motherboard before doing the update?
And where i can find my desired BIOS update? Help me please, i've never perfomed a BIOS update, and i don't want to damage my Motherboard :(

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Then your motherboard will support a Ryzen 3600 without any BIOS update required. Although it should support your 3400G just fine as well, so you're probably better off trying to get to the bottom of the issues you're having rather than upgrading in the hopes that will fix it.

What exact issues are you having? Have you updated your BIOS to the latest (non-beta) version? Did you do a clean install of Windows when you built this system? Did you install the latest AMD chipset drivers? Did you try clearing your CMOS? Should be instructions in your mobo manual if you don't know how to do this.

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
Then your motherboard will support a Ryzen 3600 without any BIOS update required. Although it should support your 3400G just fine as well, so you're probably better off trying to get to the bottom of the issues you're having rather than upgrading in the hopes that will fix it.

What exact issues are you having? Have you updated your BIOS to the latest (non-beta) version? Did you do a clean install of Windows when you built this system? Did you install the latest AMD chipset drivers? Did you try clearing your CMOS? Should be instructions in your mobo manual if you don't know how to do this.
Sometimes the system does not boot properly and a black screen occur, so I have to force the shutdown, and re-try to boot up the system.
No, I've not updated my Bios.
No, I've not performed any clean install of windows after changing the motherboard (honestly I prefer to not to that)
Yes, I've installed the AMD chipset driver that were included in my motherboard's CD.
No, I've not tried to clean my CMOS.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Well I'd certainly recommend doing all of those free troubleshooting steps prior to going out and buying a new CPU. In all likelihood you'd end up having the same issues if all you did was replace CPU.

You may not want to reinstall Windows, but it is absolutely recommended to do so after changing motherboards. At the very least I'd uninstall any drivers you may have leftover from your old motherboard (use DDU to uninstall all graphics drivers), and then install drivers for your new one (including latest AMD chipset drivers).

You also want to make sure you have the latest Windows 10 (build 1903) with all updates.

simo311

Reputable
Aug 30, 2019
The most recent one, 7B86v1B.
I've updated my Bios, and it seems to work pretty well (even tho now the U.I. is completely different)
I have one last question :), it is neccessary to re-install Windows 10 after changing CPU? Let's suppose that i want to buy the Ryzen 5 3600 to replace with my current Ryzen 5 3400g, those two CPU are quite different from each other (the Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have IGPU for example) so maybe there will be some compatibility issues...
Thanks!

sniper23

Prominent
Jan 12, 2019
I've updated my Bios, and it seems to work pretty well (even tho now the U.I. is completely different)
I have one last question :), it is neccessary to re-install Windows 10 after changing CPU? Let's suppose that i want to buy the Ryzen 5 3600 to replace with my current Ryzen 5 3400g, those two CPU are quite different from each other (the Ryzen 5 3600 doesn't have IGPU for example) so maybe there will be some compatibility issues...
Thanks!
It's not, but it might fix some speed problems if you have. (like a slow boot.)

If the other G models are like current 3200G/3400G (last gen CPUs but with gee-whiz sounding 3000 part numbers), the 3600G will be essentially a 2600 with GTX1030-like integrated graphics...? It's perfomrance might not even be close to the R5-3600

As you already have a display adapter, why not skip the G models altogether, and just get a true 3rd gen 3600? (In any event, the GTX780 needs changed soon anyway)