[SOLVED] Will this CPU break my motherboard?

Jan 1, 2021
Hey guys!

Pretty new to PC building; so any help is greatly appreciated!

My good friend has generously sold me his (used but less that 2 months old) i7 9700k for 100. I jumped at the chance and didn't think much of it.

After doing some research I spooked myself about using the CPU due to reading about VRM temps.

My current setup is:
asrock h310cm-hdv/m.2
I5 9600k

Will my motherboard die if I use the new CPU?
Will it affect the CPUs performance?
Or am I worrying for nothing?

I only use the PC for gaming and won't be overclocking.

Thanks all!

Solution
Not to worry.
Thank your friend.
Your motherboard supports that processor.
It even supports 9900K.
The K suffix processors do not come with coolers, so you need to supply one. Do you have a cooler now?
While the stock intel cooler will work, a better aftermarket cooler would be better.
Since you will not be overclocking, power demands will be nominal.
No worries there.
Not to worry.
Thank your friend.
It even supports 9900K.
The K suffix processors do not come with coolers, so you need to supply one. Do you have a cooler now?
While the stock intel cooler will work, a better aftermarket cooler would be better.
No worries there.

Solution
Jan 1, 2021
Not to worry.
Thank your friend.
It even supports 9900K.
No worries there.
Hello geo,

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment and putting my mind to rest!

I do have a cooler, it's a cooler master 212 Evo, would this be good enough? Would you also expect me to notice an improvement in gaming performance when using the new CPU?

Thanks again and happy new year!

Your cooler is likely good enough.
Certainly try it first and see how you do.

My guess is that with such a good processor as the 9600K, you will be more graphics limited and will notice not much difference.
The turbo on the 9700K is 4.8 vs 4.6 on the 9600K and that will be of some benefit.
It could turn out that a better cooler is needed to allow max turbo speeds.
The noctua suitability link for the 9700K suggests something quite strong like a nh-D15s:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-9700K-411

The link for the 9600K is similar:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i5-9600K-389

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Essentially there's little difference between a 9600k and a 9700k except for 1 thing. 2 extra cores. If the software can use 8 threads, you'll see a performance increase with the i7 over the i5. If the software only uses 6 threads, there'll be almost no difference.

It's more a difference of capacity than capability. Whether the capacity is of use is a different story.