Question Will this CPU transplant work?

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
I have an HP 8440p with an i7 620m and an NEC VersaPro VB-B (PC-VK13MBBCB) with an i5 560um. The 8440p is kaput, dead GPU, auto shutdown after pressing the power button. The VB-B is ok. I'm not sure if an EGPU will work with the 8440p as I cannot even turn it on and I'm not sure if adding a GPU will cause the laptop to default to it without accessing the BIOS. I cannot even access the BIOS because the laptop won't turn on.

I'm thinking of transplanting the 8440's CPU into the VB-B, they're for the same socket but the i7 has twice the wattage (17 vs 35.) What other factors should I look out for and will the transplant work?

I have an HP 8440p with an i7 620m and an NEC VersaPro VB-B (PC-VK13MBBCB) with an i5 560um. The 8440p is kaput, dead GPU, auto shutdown after pressing the power button. The VB-B is ok. I'm not sure if an EGPU will work with the 8440p as I cannot even turn it on and I'm not sure if adding a GPU will cause the laptop to default to it without accessing the BIOS. I cannot even access the BIOS because the laptop won't turn on.

I'm thinking of transplanting the 8440's CPU into the VB-B, they're for the same socket but the i7 has twice the wattage (17 vs 35.) What other factors should I look out for and will the transplant work?
they might work, just to keep in mind that you could change to almost any arrandale processors, as other processors with the same socket wont work.

Reactions: pnvr8e

pnvr8e

Prominent
Jan 24, 2021
Didnt' work. I've opened the VersaPro before and forgot that the CPU was soldered onto the MOBO. I ended up just changing the thermal paste and adding thermal pads here and there. I left the 8440p at the repair shop and told them to cannibalize it as needed. I'm migrating and would have used the 8440p as my main computer with the VersaPro as a mobile/backup. I was planning on getting another 8440p once I arrive in the UK but after seeing a couple of other 8440s there having the same symptom of auto shutdown, I'll be building an SFF desktop instead.

Reactions: Koekieezz