[SOLVED] Will this cpu work? newbie needs help sorry!

Aug 14, 2020
Hey everyone!

I come here often for help but this is my first request for some! i cant get my head around this.
Iv recently gotten back into WoW, and my computer meets all Minimum spec requirements other than my CPU, i have an i3 but minimum wants i5.

Problem: every 15 minutes or so the game freezes for about 30 seconds to a minute. iv also noticed when watching any movie or video on my pc the same will happen. just the video though audio continues to play.
Looking here and elsewhere iv determined its the i3 causing my gpu to bottleneck. i have a gt 710 nvidia card. if i overclock it slighty with msi afterbuner the problem is lessened but not solved.
So im wondering if i can be a little cheaper as funds are not great atm, and just replace the i3

Question to the group. Will this cpu fit? (all cpu and motherboard data gotten with CPUID)

Mother board: HP 1497
chipset: intel sandy bridge rev.09
southbridge: intel Q5 rev.B2
LPCIO: SMSC

Current cpu: intel core i3-2100
Code name: Sandy Bridge
Max TPD: 65W
Package: Socket 1155 LGA

Cpu im looking at:

Intel Core i5-3470 Quad-Core Processor 3.2 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155

Rest of System.:
Win10 64bit
8gb ram
nvidia GT 710
HDD 231 (master with os)
HDD 149 ("slave" with Wow)

hopefully thats enough info for someone to tell me weather or not that will work.....or what will.
please remember budget is a big deal here........hehe

Solution
so i used cpu-z and speed fan to determine the cpu temp when idle is around 36-40 degrees. when i bench or stress test it goes to about to about 55 degrees on core 0 and 48ish on core 1
intel says i3-2100 is good to like 69 degrees.
with those numbers would you say its overheating? maybe a new cooler in addition to a new video card?

No those temps are fine, also if you're not freezing while benching with cpu-z the cpu is fine.

The issue is absolutely not your cpu.
Aug 14, 2020
thanks for the speedy reply!
would pc model be, Hp compaq 6200 pro -micro tower? lol
is a bios update a difficult thing?
i know the gt 710 isnt the greatest but would a new cpu solve the video freezing issues?
im not looking for high end graphics, i just wanna play smoothly lol

thanks for the speedy reply!
would pc model be, Hp compaq 6200 pro -micro tower? lol
is a bios update a difficult thing?
i know the gt 710 isnt the greatest but would a new cpu solve the video freezing issues?
im not looking for high end graphics, i just wanna play smoothly lol

As stated, the freezing is more likely down to the gpu than the cpu.

You're looking at upgrading the entirely wrong component here.

Aug 14, 2020
ok so everyones saying its not the cpu........
so as a side note, what causes my start menu to take 30 seconds to open?
and task manger 1 minute to load everything?
chrome takes the longest
does a video card cause these issues too?
would memory have anything to do with these issues and the video stuff?
my pc is fairly well maintained and after the week of searching it seems these are hardware issues and not software? im really at a loss here, i spent decent money on this pc and it just seems lackluster i guess, its frustrating to say the least.
things chance so fast in the pc world i havent been able to keep up.......

Aug 14, 2020
Possibly cpu overheating, possibly hard drive/drives failing.

Thats a very old system spec wise, if the drives are the original ones its fairly likely.
Possibly cpu overheating, possibly hard drive/drives failing.

Thats a very old system spec wise, if the drives are the original ones its fairly likely.

so i used cpu-z and speed fan to determine the cpu temp when idle is around 36-40 degrees. when i bench or stress test it goes to about to about 55 degrees on core 0 and 48ish on core 1
with those numbers would you say its overheating? maybe a new cooler in addition to a new video card?

No those temps are fine, also if you're not freezing while benching with cpu-z the cpu is fine.

The issue is absolutely not your cpu.

Solution