Question Will this ES XEON work with my motherboard?

Jun 23, 2019
Hello, I saw a very cheap Xeon e5-2658 v3 ES , will it work with my Gigabyte x99M Gaming 5?

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Firstly, just so you know. Engineering samples aren't meant for general sale. They are technically the property of Intel. If it's being advertised for sale, i suspect it's not a good idea to purchase.

Asides from the legality of it, ES CPU's typically have lower clocks than the consumer versions. Could potentially be unstable even if it does work with your mobo. God knows what it was used for, or for that matter if it's a flawed chip.

I'd not recommend the purchase.

To answer your question, most decent X99 mobo's take up to an E5-2698 V3, so it should work. Edit:: Yes it's on the support list for your mobo: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-X99M-Gaming-5-rev-10#support-cpu

Reactions: PC Tailor

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes it should work, however as stated above, do not buy it.

ES processors not only have frequent problems as they are pre-production processors, but they are illegal to sell.
Intel have prosecuted sellers before as they are technically only to be loaned out to OEMs for testing, and therefore still belong to Intel. You knowingly purchasing it despite this could also have implications.

But as I said, they are also pre-production, and are known to have problems which full production chips won't.#

You should actually report these to Intel if found.
https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/support/articles/000005719/processors.html

From intel itself (link above):
Due to the pre-production nature of ES processors, they are generally only loaned to OEMs, ODMs, and ISVs for pre-production test and evaluation work under specific contractual terms and conditions to assure the protection of assets and confidential information.
ES processors are not made available to the general public by Intel.
Contact your vendor or place of purchase if you have received an ES processor in place of a production processor.
If you have other questions or concerns, you can contact:
If I were you, I would avoid it all costs, and report the seller as to avoid anyone else picking it up.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead