Question Will this even work and is it worth?

Jan 9, 2021
I want to change my motherboard just because I got better CPU from 2nd PC, my current CPU is some old AMD APU which i want to change to i5-4590S, my FPS are so bad with this APU and I know that i5 will increase them a lot
current motherboard: asrock fm2a68m-hd+
motherboard that I want to buy: Asus B85M-G, but I dont know if it will work (some sites say that there might be a problem or something and i dont know which site to trust)
GPU: ZOTAC GTX 1050 TI
Power: Chieftec GPA-350S8 350W
RAM: G.Skill Sniper, DDR3, 8 GB, 2400MHz, CL11 (F3-2400C11D-8GSR)
Case: SilentiumPC Brutus S30 Pure Black (BT-S30)
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" SATA III and some 500GB SSHD from 2nd PC that I got the CPU
and also I can't take motherboard from the 2nd PC because there's no PCI-E slot for my GPU
I want to know if all the components will fit and if it will run without any problems

Since you are now running a GTX1050ti, your psu, while not the best quality, will still do the job.

How much will that Asus B85M-G cost you?
The s suffix processors are low wattage versions that are not as strong as a normal i5-4590 processors

I don't know that it is wise to dump more money into an obsolete platform.
For <$250, you can buy a i3-10100 which is considerably stronger, a lga1200 motherboard and a 16gb kit of ddr4 ram.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The S processors are low wattage, like the kind you'll find in laptops. If you look at the processor specs, you'll find the S has severely cut speeds, like 2.0GHz instead of the 3.x you are expecting, which dumps fps in the toilet.

It's pretty much a sideways move overall with the S, not really an upgrade, you won't get the fps gains you'd expect.

Jan 9, 2021
Since you are now running a GTX1050ti, your psu, while not the best quality, will still do the job.

How much will that Asus B85M-G cost you?
The s suffix processors are low wattage versions that are not as strong as a normal i5-4590 processors

I don't know that it is wise to dump more money into an obsolete platform.
For <$250, you can buy a i3-10100 which is considerably stronger, a lga1200 motherboard and a 16gb kit of ddr4 ram.
Sorry, I made a small mistake, I want to buy ASUS B85M-E not ASUS B85M-G (it has the same socket and is pretty much the same thing) , it will cost me around $70.
I don't want to spend that much on new CPU if I can just take it out for free, I can also take out the RAM if i need more

Jan 9, 2021
The S processors are low wattage, like the kind you'll find in laptops. If you look at the processor specs, you'll find the S has severely cut speeds, like 2.0GHz instead of the 3.x you are expecting, which dumps fps in the toilet.

It's pretty much a sideways move overall with the S, not really an upgrade, you won't get the fps gains you'd expect.
I've seen this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id-YT2cpmyw
and I know there's RX 580 8GB instead of my 1050 TI but still 250 average fps in CSGO which is mainly CPU focused game is really a lot more than what I have right now

Jan 9, 2021
Don't throw your money on a dead platform, it won't feel like an upgrade.

Please specify your budget so we can give you suggestions.
I will spend only $70 on this motherboard instead of paying $300 for new CPU and motherboard, my budget would've been higher if not the fact that I don't use PC for playing that often but when I play I'm getting 20 FPS in COD and 80 FPS in CSGO and it's really frustrating

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I've seen this video
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id-YT2cpmyw
and I know there's RX 580 8GB instead of my 1050 TI but still 250 average fps in CSGO which is mainly CPU focused game is really a lot more than what I have right now

That video is a lie.

I7 3770k OC to 4.6GHz and a gtx970 OC 124% and I could barely scrape 300fps in just Office, the other maps average @ 270fps. If I go to Sand II, that number drops to @ 160fps, if I hit a competitive map, that number drops to around 120fps average.

The i7-3770K at 4.6GHz is considerably stronger in every way than a 4590S.

The lie is that that's the only program on that pc. No Antivirus, no malware checker, no Adobe or Office products, no email, the only thing running is Steam and CSGO. They also use a chopped down version of Windows, no Cortana, no Windows store tiles, no nothing running except the game. They show you in-game settings, but fail to show the cpu/gpu global settings, how those are dialed in for maximum fps performance etc.

For all intents and purposes, that pc is no different than a Playstation console, it's not a regular user pc, it's a dedicated, optimized gaming platform.

Which you don't have.

This videos only show what is possible not what is probable.

Jan 9, 2021
That video is a lie.

I7 3770k OC to 4.6GHz and a gtx970 OC 124% and I could barely scrape 300fps in just Office, the other maps average @ 270fps. If I go to Sand II, that number drops to @ 160fps, if I hit a competitive map, that number drops to around 120fps average.

The i7-3770K at 4.6GHz is considerably stronger in every way than a 4590S.

The lie is that that's the only program on that pc. No Antivirus, no malware checker, no Adobe or Office products, no email, the only thing running is Steam and CSGO. They also use a chopped down version of Windows, no Cortana, no Windows store tiles, no nothing running except the game. They show you in-game settings, but fail to show the cpu/gpu global settings, how those are dialed in for maximum fps performance etc.

For all intents and purposes, that pc is no different than a Playstation console, it's not a regular user pc, it's a dedicated, optimized gaming platform.

Which you don't have.

This videos only show what is possible not what is probable.
I know but I don't even use Windows's programs like cortana or windows store, even now all I have opened is my browser
I've already seen this Windows version with all the system things uninstalled and I'm ok with this

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's the catch though, windows has it, it's active whether you use it or not. It still takes up resources, activates at windows startup, stays resident in ram and cache, just in case you might use it.

They are like all that bloat-ware on a smartphone, never use the stuff, next to impossible to get rid of, but still requires constant updates.