Will this fit? Also build opinions please!

KevinLK

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Hello,

I am planning a new build and I think I finally narrowed down everything. However, the RAM I am going to be using has a very tall heatsink so I was wondering if it will interfere/prevent me from using an aftermarket CPU cooler. I'll list all the parts of my build first:

i7 940 CPU w/ Hyper 212 cooler (w/ second fan added)
Asus P6X58D-E mobo
G.Skill Trident DDR3-2000 RAM (http://ncix.com/products/?sku=38024&vpn=F3-16000CL9T-6GBTD&manufacture=G.Skill)
Lian Li PC-P50 Armorsuit case
Either SLI two GTX 460s, or a single GTX 480

First of all, just want to make sure that the Hyper 212 will fit on this motherboard while allowing me to use the Trident sticks?
And second, anyone have any opinions or suggestions on this build? I want to overclock the 940 to as high as I can without having to buy a more expensive cooler and while downclocking the Trident sticks to 6-8-6-18 CL6 @ 1600. Thanks!

(By the way, I know the 940 is needlessly expensive compared to the 920/930, I got it for much cheaper then retail).

tecmo34

Administrator
1)... Yes, the Trident's will fit with the Hyper 212. On X58 motherboards, you typically don't use the slot closest to the CPU, unless running 6 sticks.

2) Solid build overall, specially since you got the i7-940 for cheap

3) I would go with two EVGA GTX 460 Superclocked EE over on GTX 480. In Tom's latest review, it shows the GTX 460 in SLI is more powerful than a single GTX 480 at less money.

4) What is your PSU? You don't want to skimp on the PSU in a build like this.

KevinLK

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
I'll have to do more research on the games I'm going to playing the most and see if those in particular support it, but either way power requirements and heat should be similar. The main issue was just making sure I can use the Hyper and RAM with a tall heatsink so it looks like I'm good to go. Thanks for the help!