[SOLVED] Will this gaming build work?

Nov 22, 2020
Hi community,

It's time for me to build a new gaming pc, hoping to make some good deals on black friday.
I made the "mistake" to buy a Samsung C49RG94SSU with 5120 x 1440 resolution last year, so to play games with fullscreen at 120MHz I need a lot of power. Also I have a oculus rift S, so my new build should be VR capable as well. At the moment im playing with a GeForce 1080 GTX and a i7-6800K. However its not really satisfying anymore.
I've read a ton of tom's hardware build tipps and studied various benchmarks for all the different components. Finally I've come up with a build, however i need some help / advice, mainly on the compatibility. The system would be:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
GPU: ASUS GeForce TUF RTX 3080 O10G Gaming
RAM: 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo
Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63
Power: Corsair RM850 2019
SSD: Samsung 980 Pro (1000GB)
Case: Fractal Define 7

Also I would transfer 1x 500GB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO Basic) and around 4 - 6 hard discs (3.5") from my current build.

Are really all components compatible? I'm not sure about the RAM, also I have no idea if the cooler fits? I've never had a watercooling system so far. Is there anything special to consider?

Also I'd be thankful for any other advice, i.e. if you would recommend other components than I chose in general. For example I'm not really into overclocking, at least i never did it so far. So if there is a component only useful when overclocking ...

Thanks a lot in advance, any comments are apreciated.

Solution
Hi community,

It's time for me to build a new gaming pc, hoping to make some good deals on black friday.
I made the "mistake" to buy a Samsung C49RG94SSU with 5120 x 1440 resolution last year, so to play games with fullscreen at 120MHz I need a lot of power. Also I have a oculus rift S, so my new build should be VR capable as well. At the moment im playing with a GeForce 1080 GTX and a i7-6800K. However its not really satisfying anymore.
I've read a ton of tom's hardware build tipps and studied various benchmarks for all the different components. Finally I've come up with a build, however i need some help / advice, mainly on the compatibility. The system would be:

GPU: ASUS...
Hi community,

Also I would transfer 1x 500GB SSD (Samsung 850 EVO Basic) and around 4 - 6 hard discs (3.5") from my current build.

Are really all components compatible? I'm not sure about the RAM, also I have no idea if the cooler fits? I've never had a watercooling system so far. Is there anything special to consider?

Also I'd be thankful for any other advice, i.e. if you would recommend other components than I chose in general. For example I'm not really into overclocking, at least i never did it so far. So if there is a component only useful when overclocking ...

Hello there!!!
The build would be completely awesome although for such a high end system 32gb Ram won't be overkill but a recommendation. The case would support your x63 cooler, so no problems there too. You could also consider 360mm aio on the top like the nzxt x73.

Reactions: FxPain
Nov 22, 2020
Hello there!!!
The build would be completely awesome although for such a high end system 32gb Ram won't be overkill but a recommendation. The case would support your x63 cooler, so no problems there too. You could also consider 360mm aio on the top like the nzxt x73.

Thanks a lot. Regarding RAM: Thats why i had 4x 16 GB in mind, so a total of 64 GB. There is not a huge selection of 2x 32 GB available as I noticed. I'll take the x73 into consideration, the price difference is minimal.

Regarding Mainboard: Is it compatible with the CPU no matter of the production date? I remember with my last build the mainboard I bought was of an older production series so I couldnt get it to work with my CPU. Had to return it to Gigabyte so they could send me the same board but of a newer date.

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
Looks good, just be prepared to either wait several months or furiously refresh pages or always watch for a notification saying they are in stock for that 3080. 32GB for this build would probably be good, I don't know you need 64GB, since even Microsoft flight sim on max settings doesn't use all 32GB of ram. I would try to get the fastest 32GB kit of ram you can afford as opposed to maybe a slower 64GB kit.

Nov 22, 2020
Looks good, just be prepared to either wait several months or furiously refresh pages or always watch for a notification saying they are in stock for that 3080. 32GB for this build would probably be good, I don't know you need 64GB, since even Microsoft flight sim on max settings doesn't use all 32GB of ram. I would try to get the fastest 32GB kit of ram you can afford as opposed to maybe a slower 64GB kit.
Thanks as well. Yeah, I'm aware of the supply problems of the 3080. I was just hoping that maybe at least some of the other components will be on sale on black friday...

also thanks regarding the RAM. I thought the G.Skill Trident Z Neo (DDR4-3600) is quite good? Only thing I was a little bit concerned is that the mainboard only supports up to DDR4-2666? So I wasn't sure if the Trident Z would work? However, according to this page it should be working. Or do you have any reccomendation?

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020
You shouldn't have to worry about the memory speed capping out (unless you get like 5000mhz memory) with a 360$ motherboard. The G. Skill Trident Z Neo is very good, but if you are throwing that much money at a build you might want faster speed memory (like 4000 or 4400 MHz) instead of 64GB of RAM, but often memory of that speed can be very overpriced, so you might just be better off going with a 32GB kit of 3600mhz speed memory and saving those extra dollars. As, for recommendations, I don't feel fully qualified enough to give you a recommendation, but 2 kits of 2x16 patriot viper steel 4400 seems like a pretty good value to me but that would fill up all of your motherboard's slots and I don't see it on the supported ram list on the website although basically, any DDR4 memory kit will work on any motherboard that supports DDR4 memory, and when I put the parts in pc part picker it does not say they are incompatible.

Last edited:
Hi community,

You'll get higher memory clocks with 2 ram modules rather than 4. There's a review of the motherboard right here at Tom's. Check out the memory clocking results on page 2 of the review.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/asus-rog-strix-x570-e-gaming-atx-motherboard,6246-2.html

Solution
Nov 22, 2020
Thanks for the recommendation. Initially I also had the viper steel on my list but I couldn't find 16 GB bars with 4000 or 4400 in switzerland. Only the 3200, thats why i switched to the Trident Z Neo. And when I buy 4x 8GB then I will not be able to upgrade in the future as all 4 slots will be occupied.

I could go for the Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000, but thats double the price of the Trident Z Neo. A little cheaper is the Trident Z RGB, also 4000 MHz. Alternatively I could get the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-4000, which seems not overpriced.

However, the Trident Z Neo, although only being at 3600 MHz, has the lowest latency, so overall i think its a better choice than to go for 4000 MHz but with higher latency?

Thanks for the recommendation. Initially I also had the viper steel on my list but I couldn't find 16 GB bars with 4000 or 4400 in switzerland. Only the 3200, thats why i switched to the Trident Z Neo. And when I buy 4x 8GB then I will not be able to upgrade in the future as all 4 slots will be occupied.

I could go for the Trident Z Royal DDR4-4000, but thats double the price of the Trident Z Neo. A little cheaper is the Trident Z RGB, also 4000 MHz. Alternatively I could get the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-4000, which seems not overpriced.

However, the Trident Z Neo, although only being at 3600 MHz, has the lowest latency, so overall i think its a better choice than to go for 4000 MHz but with higher latency?
Yes, I was going to suggest the 3600. It will be fine at 2 x 16GB modules. There's very few users that require more then 32GB anyways.

SteelStruck

Prominent
Jul 31, 2020

Oh, you live in Switzerland? I guess maybe then the patriot viper is not the best deal. From what I have heard, latency doesn't really matter, speed is the most important factor in memory. How much does each set of the 4000-speed memory cost? Sounds like you already decided on 3600-speed memory which is still a great choice though.

Nov 22, 2020
Oh, you live in Switzerland? I guess maybe then the patriot viper is not the best deal. From what I have heard, latency doesn't really matter, speed is the most important factor in memory. How much does each set of the 4000-speed memory cost? Sounds like you already decided on 3600-speed memory which is still a great choice though.
Well, the 3600 are CHF 206 ($225), and the 4000 between CHF 330 and CHF 400 ($360 to $435).

Anyways, I will wait with buying the components until i get the RTX 3080, so maybe until then prices and availability of 4000 models will improve.

Nov 22, 2020
As I was looking around to get a rtx 3080 i was wondering if the following models are equalliy good or if there is one that should be least considered. The MSI should be available the soonest:

ASUS GeForce TUF RTX 3080 O10G Gaming
ASUS GeForce ROG STRIX RTX 3080 O10G Gaming (10GB)
MSI GeForce RTX3080 GAMING X Trio 10GB

Personally i would prefer the ROG Strix, but the MSI one is a lot cheaper and according to some benchmarks I've seen their performance should be around the same. Any advice?