will this gaming laptop last till 2017 ?

Solution
That laptop is decent for gaming, but nothing special. It will do modern gaming decently. But not the best for future proofing. Alienware severely overcharges for their products. Kind of like Apple, you are paying for the brand. Also, gaming laptops are often more expensive to begin with. For $2000, you could build quite an amazing desktop. For $1500, you can STILL build a great desktop. You could buy an OK gaming laptop and still have over $1000 left to build a solid desktop...

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
That laptop is decent for gaming, but nothing special. It will do modern gaming decently. But not the best for future proofing. Alienware severely overcharges for their products. Kind of like Apple, you are paying for the brand. Also, gaming laptops are often more expensive to begin with. For $2000, you could build quite an amazing desktop. For $1500, you can STILL build a great desktop. You could buy an OK gaming laptop and still have over $1000 left to build a solid desktop...

Solution

gauravbellani

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I'm a student from India studying in Singapore so I can't really build a desktop here in my hostel. Lol. My education here lasts till 2017 and I just wanted to know if this will last till then. Is there any other better gaming laptop you can suggest that I can buy here in Singapore?

gauravbellani

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
I'm not allowed to have a desktop in my hostel bro :/ do you know any place in Singapore where I could pick up a better gaming laptop within 2000 SGD. Please let me know which area too.

gauravbellani

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
Lol yeah the landlord is a douche :p he charges me 20$ per month coz I bought a fridge into the room :p lol. I can't have a desktop because I've got a really small study table in my hostel.

And yeah, I'm not the best judge is graphics cards so if you could suggest me one or would be nice :)

Quakemz

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013

lol That is unfortunate. It's sad to see $2000 put towards a laptop with an i5 and a 765m...That money could be put to such better use in a PC. :/

Now to the original poster. Have you thought about a Lenovo laptop? I own a Lenovo Y510p, and for the price, it's a rather capable little gaming laptop. I by no means call it a gaming machine or a beast. But it does sport a i7-4770 and a 750m. As far as light gaming or less intensive games, this thing is great. I use it to game on the go or if I'm just not around my desktop. Pretty good bang for your buck. Not QUITE as good as the Alienware GPU, but I also paid over $1100 less for it. The Lenovo Y-series is pretty sexy, to be honest. The site lets you customize them a bit too. You can get either 14" or 15.6". And the specs start at a i7-4770, 8GB of 1600Mhz RAM, 1TB HDD (potentially with SSD caching), nVidia 755m, and you could even get a model with two 755ms in SLI, which would outperform the 765m in the Alienware. It would also generate a lot of heat, but that can be helped by one of those fancy pads with the fan that goes underneath the laptop. If Lenovo is a possibility where you are, I suggest looking into the Y-series. And believe it or not, I DON'T work for Lenovo. lol I just happen to like mine and got it for a good price.

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/