Will this gaming PC be enough to run certain games well?

civildistress20

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
I am getting a new computer as my current one is quite old and it won't cut with the new games coming out. I have 2 questions:

1. Will this build run the following games on high/medium with a steady 60+ fps:
(Arma 2 & 3, Battlefield 4, Battlefield Hardline, Rust, Star Wars: Battlefront)

2. What is the difference between a Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor and a Intel Core i5-4690k 3.5GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor?

I'm not sure if they are the same thing or not. The i5-4690k is priced higher than the i5-4690 and I am not sure if there is a difference and if there is, how big of a difference. Help would be nice since I will be ordering this computer probably by the end of the week. Thanks!

I should also add in that this is my first time building a PC.

Here are the parts I have picked out currently. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kTYQvK

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 960 2GB Superclocked Video Card
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Solution
1. Yes.

2. The 4690K is unlocked, meaning you can overclock it. To Overclock you need a Z87/97 motherboard (which you have currently). A regular 4690 can't be overclocked, and thus doesn't benefit from a z87/97 motherboard (unless you want to SLI video cards later on). An H97 board is cheaper and provides 99% of the same features as a Z-series board, just no overclocking, and no SLI support.

OCing can provide a fairly large difference in performance. If you're not interested in OCing, get a 4690, but not an oem/tray model, get the boxed model, and just use the stock CPU fan, you don't need an aftermarket fan unless you're going to OC, or you live in a desert.

jsgrant31

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014
1. At 1080p I think you will run those games just fine at 60 fps. What is your display refresh rate? If you're aiming for 144 Hz then a 960 may not cut it; a 970 would be better.

2. The "k" model can be overclocked past 3.5 GHz. You only need it if you're interested in overclocking. If you don't plan to overclock, get the 4690 and you can probably use the stock cooler rather than the 212 Evo.

Your components look fine. Just note the compatibility flag from PCPartPicker about the USB header on the mobo. I would get a SSD for your OS if it's in your budget.

1. Yes.

2. The 4690K is unlocked, meaning you can overclock it. To Overclock you need a Z87/97 motherboard (which you have currently). A regular 4690 can't be overclocked, and thus doesn't benefit from a z87/97 motherboard (unless you want to SLI video cards later on). An H97 board is cheaper and provides 99% of the same features as a Z-series board, just no overclocking, and no SLI support.

OCing can provide a fairly large difference in performance. If you're not interested in OCing, get a 4690, but not an oem/tray model, get the boxed model, and just use the stock CPU fan, you don't need an aftermarket fan unless you're going to OC, or you live in a desert.

Solution

civildistress20

Reputable
Nov 8, 2014
First off, thank you both for replying and answering my questions. Secondly, If I were to get the 4690k, how big of a difference would it be to have it OC? Like, are we talking an extra 20+ Frames or is it just a minor increase? I should also note that I was talking about the new Star Wars: battlefront coming out, not the old one even though it is amazing.

Refresh rate is at 60Hz