Will this graphics card go with this old computer?

Kerri B

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Hi, I don't know about building computers, so I'm hoping I'm able to just add things to an existing one. I need to find my daughter a decent computer for Christmas, but not pay too much.

I bought this refurbished computer:
HP 8300 Elite Small Form Factor Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core, 8GB RAM, 500GB SATA, Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit, USB 3.0, Display Port (Certified Refurbished)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CV9G1BO/

Here's more info on the desktop if you don't want to go to the link:

Product description
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz (Turbo up to 3.6GHz) 6MB Cache Processor Core: Quad-Core Memory: 8GB DDR3; supports up to 16GB Memory Slots: 4 Graphics: Integrated Intel HD 2500 Graphics Video Ports: VGA, DisplayPort Hard Drive: 500GB SATA 5400RPM Optical Drive: DVD ROM: Integrated Network: 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Wireless: No Front Panel: (4) USB 2.0 (1) Headphone (1) Microphone Rear Panel: (1) DisplayPort (1) VGA (4) USB 3.0 (2) USB 2.0 (1) RJ-45 LAN (1) Audio: Line-in/Microphone (1) Audio: Line-out (1) Serial Port Expansion Slots & Bays: (1) Low-Profile PCI Slot (1) Low-Profile PCI Express x16 Slot (2) Low-Profile PCI Express x1 Slots (1) External 5.25\"Drive Bay (1) Internal 3.5\" Drive Bay (1) External 3.5\" Drive Bay Operating System: Genuine Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Power Supply: 240W Max Dimensions: 14.9\"(L) x 3.95\"(W) x 13.3\"(H)
----
I oredered/received this graphics card to put in it:
ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Low Profile 4GB GDDR5 128-bit Gaming Graphics Card ZT-P10510E-10L
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XHZ29N5/

Three questions:
Will that graphics card work in it the way the computer stands now?
What if any ssd to add to it?
Are those things worth adding, or something different?

Thanks a lot.

Solution
You did well in choosing a "Low profile" video card for your SFF case.
But you have a problem: Your power supply is 240w and your GTX 1050ti is recommended by Zotac web site to have a 300w power supply
https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-low-profile#spec

that said.. will it run... probably.

Should you upgrade your PSU (well that quite hard). For an SFF case power supply to even have higher then 240w because they don't make it(oem), and if you do find someone that does like a 400w, your better off for the price of it to get a case and power supply and transfer everything from your SFF to an ATX case anyways.

you already bought it, you can return it or try it.. HP power supplies are really tough...
You did well in choosing a "Low profile" video card for your SFF case.
But you have a problem: Your power supply is 240w and your GTX 1050ti is recommended by Zotac web site to have a 300w power supply
https://www.zotac.com/us/product/graphics_card/zotac-geforce-gtx-1050-ti-low-profile#spec

that said.. will it run... probably.

Should you upgrade your PSU (well that quite hard). For an SFF case power supply to even have higher then 240w because they don't make it(oem), and if you do find someone that does like a 400w, your better off for the price of it to get a case and power supply and transfer everything from your SFF to an ATX case anyways.

you already bought it, you can return it or try it.. HP power supplies are really tough PSU, pretty resilient and in most cases if you overdraw they don't burn out they just refuse to work.. (i.e. plug card in and it doesn't boot, take card out, boot.. then you know you cannot use it)

So save the box, try it, if it work enjoy if not.. return it.

Solution
You are not going to have clearance to run a GPU in that small form factor PC and it wont have a large enough PSU to support a GPU. The PSU for that PC is just designed for those parts. It wont be able to handle a 1050ti.

You should consider returning the computer and getting a system with a bigger case (not small form factor) and a minimum 300 watt PSU.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
you are actually not that bad off. the card you chose was a good pic for the pc as it only uses power from the motherboard and needs no extra. so it is about a 60w card if i recall right.

the cpu is about a 75w cpu. so you're really not that bad off. i would look for a new psu myself but you could possibly run it as is but you may have some power issues down the road.

if you have to, leave everything at stock speeds and you should be able to do it. only in a full gaming session will the parts hit full power and even then the major parts are only about 140w leaving a good bit for the smaller pieces.