Will this laptop support highest settings for BF3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notajetski

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Alienware has where you custom build your laptop. Im trying to spend not so much but does these specs for my custom laptop support BF3 highest settings and performance?

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i5 2430M 2.4GHz (3.0GHz with Turbo Boost, 3MB Cache)
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium, 64bit, English
WIRELESS CARDS Intel® Wireless-N WiFi Link 1000 a/g/n 1x2
MEMORY 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz
VIDEO CARD 3.0GB DDR3 NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology
HARD DRIVE 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s
LCD PANEL 14.0" High Def+ (900p/1600x900) with WLED backlight
WIRELESSHD OR MOBILE BROADBAND None
INTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVE 8x SuperMulti DVD±R/RW Slot Load Optical Drive
SOUND OPTIONS Internal High-Definition 5.1 Surround Sound Audio

If not, what do I have to change, or should I just stick to the ASUS G74sx?

Solution
I'd definitely spring the extra $100 for the Asus, you'll get much better performance in BF3 over that Alienware. Laptops generally aren't upgradeable when it comes to graphics, you are stuck with what you buy. It's always better to spring for more graphics horsepower on a gaming laptop as it means your laptop won't fall into obsolescence as quickly.

bdizzle11

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
There are very few laptops that will be able to run BF3 on max settings. In short the graphics card on laptops including on this one are just not comparable to desktop cards and therefore cant run it on max. Expect to be able to run about medium, which still looks very good. You'd need at least a 580m or 6990m to be able to max it out, which gets very expensive.

Even with the 6990m or GTX 590m the game would struggle at max at 1080p, those cards are a little bit slower than the Radeon HD 6870 and GTX 560. To max it out at 1080p you'd actually need 2 6990m or 2 GTX 590m, and those laptops are ludicrously expensive. If you want to max out BF3, do it on a desktop, it won't cost you your firstborn that way.

Notajetski

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Are the videos and reviews I see false then? Because this specific brand uses the same video card but a different processor. The reviews say BF3 looks amazing on it, its just I am using a different processor. I want a portable laptop as I am always on the go so its easier to have a laptop than carrying a desktop. I am a hardcore gamer so I want a good laptop that isnt ridiculous in price.

You can get a laptop that can run BF3 at a reasonable price, but you aren't likely to find one that can max out the game unless you're willing to spend 2 to 3 thousand dollars, or get a laptop with a good graphics card but with a very low screen resolution like 720p or something close to that. The laptop with the 555m will probably be okay for medium settings, but it won't give you acceptable framerates on ultra.

The G74sx uses the GTX 560m which is about comparable to a GTS 450 on the desktop. That still won't get you maximum settings at 1080p. It still probably won't be enough if you get the 1600x900 variant of that laptop. It will definitely do medium, if you turn the resolution down you might even be able to do high, but that still won't get you ultra. The 560m is probably the best you can get on a laptop without getting into the ridiculously expensive cards, so that probably is your best bet. Just don't expect to be able to run BF3 on maximum and get anything better than a slideshow.

Notajetski

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
ok sounds good. I am currently a BF3 player on xbox360, which everone knows compared to the PC Xbox is like the low settings on PC, so medium is already an upgrade from Xbpx graphics wise as is. But in your opinion, for medium and performance, is the ASUS or this Alienware I posted better for gaming? I am new to the pc gaming field if you havent noticed. I think the Alienware is better because their laptops are built for gaming but with their "build your own" setting, it makes it hard on me to figure it out for being newbie to PC.

The Asus is better simply by virtue of having the better graphics card. The 560m on the Asus is about 20 to 25 percent faster than the 555m on the Alienware, which is important for a graphically demanding game like BF3. The Alienware's only real advantage is a slightly faster CPU than the i5 on the Asus laptop, and that won't make a huge difference in game performance, BF3 tends not to care too much about CPUs, at least in single player. Alienware laptops have a reputation for generally being overpriced for the hardware they give you. I don't have the prices for those laptops in front of me, but you probably will get much better value out of the Asus.

Notajetski

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Ok well im more focussed towards the multiplayer. I have the prices for the laptops and a big factor I took for account was warranty and protection plan. The Asus is 1199.99 and with warranty and tax, it rings up on best buy to about 1590. The M14x Alienware is 1099.99 for basic but for the card upgrade to 3.0GB and LCD screen upgrade bumps up the price for 1299.99 and including warranty and tax, it comes out to about 1490. So in this case, the Alienware is actually cheaper, but I want the laptop which will perform best on multiplayer on medium settings.

I'd definitely spring the extra $100 for the Asus, you'll get much better performance in BF3 over that Alienware. Laptops generally aren't upgradeable when it comes to graphics, you are stuck with what you buy. It's always better to spring for more graphics horsepower on a gaming laptop as it means your laptop won't fall into obsolescence as quickly.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS