[SOLVED] will this mobo run my system smoothly?

Mar 31, 2021
I'm new to toms hardware btw sorry if this is an odd post. I've bought the B450M DS3H but haven't used it yet, and I'm having second thoughts. I found out about the b450m steel legend, and I'm now trying to sell my motherboard to get the steel legend, but will either be able run the rest of my specs smoothly due to the similar hardware quality?

My specs are:

Ryzen 5 2600
GTX 1660 super oc
Vengeance LPX 16gb 2x8gb 3200mhz cl16
CX650M 80+ bronze
SN750 M.2 nvme 1tb ssd
6 x masterfan mf120r argb fans
masterfan hub

Should I be fine with my mobo/the steel legend or should I try to get a better one? If so, what would be a good one for around $130 aud? Appreciate the help as I'm building in the next few days. BTW I do plan on upgrading my mobo when I get a rtx 3060 or a ryzen 7 - 9, unless I get one that will already be good enough

Solution
for one the DS3H has no VRM heatsinks and will get much hotter than the AsRock.
this will lead to other components also getting hotter and can cause thermal throttling, especially if gaming.

it could be a year or more until RTX 3000 or RX 6000 cards are actually available. so if you're waiting for that, you may be using this board for longer than you're expecting.
i would be returning the DS3H, and if you have the space, looking for an ATX sized board with better options. should also make it easier to get rid of later and recoup some cash towards the eventual upgrade.

I did watch a video...
you never know what the motivation is behind a lot of these types of videos.
the creator could just be using it as a promotional scam to...
are you looking for an mATX board due to lack of case size?

your current B450M DS3H is a pretty low quality board, especially for gaming.
the B450M DS3H also doesn't support 3-pin aRGB connection and neither does the base version of the MasterFan hub, though they do have an aRGB version of that hub.
you may need a separate powered aRGB hub to use those fan's LEDs.

the Steel Legend is a bit better design and a bit newer.
you should be able to just return the Gigabyte if you've purchased it recently.

Mar 31, 2021
yeah I can see how that would be, I did watch a video though where a guy made a similar build to mine (Joey Delgato) and he also used the DS3H. But I got a gtx 1660 super opposed to his non super, and I got a much higher speed SSD. (his = around 500mbps, mine is 3470 mbps). He was pulling from either 70-80 frames on some games like the last jedi to pulling over 150 - 160 fps on rainbow six siege. So how much of an upgrade would it really be if I switched over because I have been told that both mobos are similar in performance and with my system, should only upgrade when I get a better cpu. This is really confusing lol thanks for helping out

for one the DS3H has no VRM heatsinks and will get much hotter than the AsRock.
this will lead to other components also getting hotter and can cause thermal throttling, especially if gaming.

it could be a year or more until RTX 3000 or RX 6000 cards are actually available. so if you're waiting for that, you may be using this board for longer than you're expecting.
i would be returning the DS3H, and if you have the space, looking for an ATX sized board with better options. should also make it easier to get rid of later and recoup some cash towards the eventual upgrade.

I did watch a video...
you never know what the motivation is behind a lot of these types of videos.
the creator could just be using it as a promotional scam to sell components they have on hand or cheap-o prebuilt systems at higher prices somewhere using those components.
could have the display set at 480p or other frame boosting techniques that you wouldn't want to use in real world gaming.

Solution
Mar 31, 2021
Yeah true. My case has a mesh front and top, and a place at the back, so I'll have 6 fans. My cpu will have thermal paste and the cooler it came with, and I will definetly not overclock. My ssd also has a heatsink so that wont get too hot, but would it still be too hot in my case? If its really worth it, I'll try to get the b450m steel legend, because I am on a bit of a budget and can't return my mobo cause Ive had it longer than 30 days (even asked and they said it) so I'm trying to sell it. I'm able to build it today so would it still be worth it to get the other mobo?

TRENDING THREADS