[SOLVED] Will this Motherboard work with the Ryzen 7 2700?

Beyluta1

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
Just to clarify, I am not a beginner when it comes to building PCs but I'm no master either.
I recently bought a new MOBO, CPU & RAM for my PC when I decided to upgrade from the AMD FX-8350 to a Ryzen 7 2700.
So I did my own research online before I bought everything just to be sure I wasn't making any mistakes (I'm relatively new to the Ryzen series).

But when I was discussing with my friends about it today, they checked the MOBO and the CPU and told me I had made a mistake and that they were not compatible,
even though It clearly says AM4 there, did I do something wrong? does it have to do with the generations or something like that?

I appreciate if someone could explain to me what my mistake was, so that I can avoid making it again in the future.
Thanks in advance.

CPU: Ryzen 7 2700
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-A320M-S2H
RAM: (2x) Corsair ValueSelect DDR4 8GB 2133MHz CL15

Solution
I would return the motherboard and buy a b450 mainly because:
-Is a huge better motherboard that will last longer and you won't have problems installing your cpu.
-The b450 chipsets offers overclock and any b450 motherboard would feature better quality and using a powerful cpu on an a320 would eat the motherboard as many of them are not prepared for high end chips and usually have bad vrms and low cost components to save a couple of bucks.
-The next rizen series are said not to work on a320 motherboards as I have heard, so getting an b450 would open further upgrades.
-the price difference is usually from 15-30 dollars, and it is completely worth to get an b450 over a a320.
-new technologies are implemented and also have a lot of new...
That will require a bios update to work with it. The update to the bios will need to be done before the CPU is installed. A better choice would be to use a B450 motherboard as those support the 2000 series out of box and are only a couple dollars more expensive.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
In theory, yes it will work. It could require a BIOS update before it will. AMD (has) offered a "boot kit" that you could borrow to do so, if it won't.

Even at that, you have gotten a value motherboard that is not able to OC. Where that aspect may not be important to you, it likely will not have the power delivery that the 2700 will want. Return it and get at least a B450 motherboard.

Beyluta1

Prominent
Aug 10, 2017
In theory, yes it will work. It could require a BIOS update before it will. AMD (has) offered a "boot kit" that you could borrow to do so, if it won't.

Even at that, you have gotten a value motherboard that is not able to OC. Where that aspect may not be important to you, it likely will not have the power delivery that the 2700 will want. Return it and get at least a B450 motherboard.
So I need to update the BIOS? then it will work? The other guy said to update before installing the cpu but how would that work? does it get into the BIOS without a cpu?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
That is the "boot kit" I was talking about. At one point (and I am not sure they are doing this still) they (AMD) would send out a loaner 1xxx CPU that you could put in the motherboard long enough to update BIOS and then swap to your 2xxx chip.

Javi7707

Commendable
Feb 20, 2017
I would return the motherboard and buy a b450 mainly because:
-Is a huge better motherboard that will last longer and you won't have problems installing your cpu.
-The b450 chipsets offers overclock and any b450 motherboard would feature better quality and using a powerful cpu on an a320 would eat the motherboard as many of them are not prepared for high end chips and usually have bad vrms and low cost components to save a couple of bucks.
-The next rizen series are said not to work on a320 motherboards as I have heard, so getting an b450 would open further upgrades.
-the price difference is usually from 15-30 dollars, and it is completely worth to get an b450 over a a320.
-new technologies are implemented and also have a lot of new features that work with second gen rizen chips.

Reactions: DMAN999
Solution