Will this overclocking work?

Solution

I am using a 4 +1 power phase Asrock 970 Extreme4 and I can clock my FX6300 to 4.8 GHz . Mostly I dont because I like quiet computers so its running at 4.3 Ghz no problem .

Yes the board is about 3-4 C hotter than a board with more power phases so maybe it will die in 7 years and not 10 years . Not a real issue since I will have upgraded well before then anyway
But you can pay another $30 for a mb and still be well inside your budget

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
The cooler will handle it in a well ventilated case with good air flow. The CPU has an unlocked multiplier for easy OC'ing. Should be obtainable with the multi and maybe a little vcore. I just took my PhII X4 965BE to a stable 4GZ with the multi and volts alone. It is cooled by the 212 EVO.

I am using a 4 +1 power phase Asrock 970 Extreme4 and I can clock my FX6300 to 4.8 GHz . Mostly I dont because I like quiet computers so its running at 4.3 Ghz no problem .

Yes the board is about 3-4 C hotter than a board with more power phases so maybe it will die in 7 years and not 10 years . Not a real issue since I will have upgraded well before then anyway
But you can pay another $30 for a mb and still be well inside your budget

Solution