• Yes

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Twiglaser

Reputable
May 18, 2014
I am building a brand new PC from nothing. I am using PCpartpicker.com to help with compatibility. Here is the link to my build:
http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/3MtZZ

My goal is to play BF4 on ultra (using all settings) on a 1440p resolution monitor, while maintaining at least 40 frames. Can this PC do it?

yes, however you can save a lot of money with an i5 and air cooling, and only 8gb ram, a cheaper mobo, smaller ssd, and cheaper case. if you want to save money, you can build a pc to run bf4 on ultra 1440p for about ~$1200 (well, not including the monitor).

G

It will own BF4 :) , actually if you're going to play only BF4 your PC is a total overkill :p
However I don't recommend RAM from Patriot, their newer models seem to be made out of trash (quality wise). I'd get Kingston, G.Skill, GoodRaM, Corsair or Team Group instead.

Twiglaser

Reputable
May 18, 2014

I know the RAM and i7 are over kill, but I figured my PC would last longer as an "up to-date" pc if I stacked it with the latest gizmos. Plus, I've never owned a high-end pc like the one I'm going to build, so I have no confidence in any low numbers. The laptop I'm on right now has 6gb of ram and is still disappointing me when it comes to running Google Chrome and other applications. 8gb from my perspective seems like nothing. However, my quad core 2.1ghz CPU is probably the cause for that. Oh well.

The bottom line: I actually want this computer to be better than what I need it to be.

Twiglaser

Reputable
May 18, 2014

I would appreciate that.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($333.85 @ DirectCanada)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($113.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK2 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($205.96 @ shopRBC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($169.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($225.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.97 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card ($549.99 @ Memory Express)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($159.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.75 @ Vuugo)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($105.84 @ DirectCanada)
Monitor: LG 27EA83R-D 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($699.99 @ NCIX)
Total: $2765.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-18 16:30 EDT-0400)

I got a haswell refresh cpu and z97 board, as it just came out like a week ago so you cant get more up to date that that XD and also if you want to upgrade to broadwell the board supportis. normally i would have gotten a z97 board and regular haswell cpu as the only difference in the refresh chips is a 100 mhz boost and some new instructions, but i got the refresh here because 1. you are new to pc's, so overclocking wont be something you need, and 2. it was only $5 more. I got a smaller yet better ssd, a 290X instead of the 780 because it is faster and has more vram, better for high resolutions. a modular psu so you dont have a rats nest in your case, and the monitor is fantastic. change the case to however you want it, this case is a great case but doesnt look too great, idk how important looks are to you.

SycoSight

Honorable
Nov 14, 2013
Dude, I know a lot of people recommend ditching the i7 but I'm telling you that you should go for the i7 because future games WILL NEED 8 CORES/THREADS. Consoles are the main targets for devs and they have 8 codes, meaning more games will use 8 cores. Sure the i5 has just as good single threaded performance but the i7 will be able to max games out with the extra threads. BTW the rest of your system is fantastic for 1440p but you could save a few bucks by cutting the ram to 8gigs. Happy gaming ;)

Twiglaser

Reputable
May 18, 2014

Jesus christ. This is sweeter than honey, lol. I actually love this. I do have some questions though.

1. When I did my research on SSDs vs IHDs, it turned out that the difference doesn't affect performance as much as it affects load times, which I still find to be significant. I'm assuming the load time boost is only applied to games that are installed in the SSD folder, right? Does that mean I have to save my SSD strictly for games while everything else goes in the IHD? Im generally confused on how I'm supposed to treat the two hard drives which is why I chose a 500gb SSD instead.
2.The monitor you chose is roughly 200 dollars more than the one I chose, yet they both are 27'', 60hz, 1440p, and a difference of 1.5 ms in response time (which your LG wins). A difference of 1.5ms, is hardly worth 200 bucks. So what was your reason for the LG monitor?

Other than that, I think I'm done asking questions. Thank you very much for going this far to help me out!

G

Whatever will be stored on SSD will load faster, so unfortunately it won't speed up everything. Danbuscus' build is pretty cool, I don't know about monitor though, for me getting anything above 1080p is simple not worth it, honestly I can't see difference between 1080p and 1440p.

nor can i see the difference, but i do prefer 16/10 ratio and the monitor is ips meaning it has more vivid colors (i dont really know why, but it just does) and when you look at it from an angle the colors dont get as messed up, it has a 5ms response time which is good, its 27", has good brightness, and is from a good brand :p now, if you play in a dark room and only view the monitor from right infront of it, and are ok with 1080p, you can get one that is the same size, but with speakers, webcam, and faster response time for a bit cheaper, because ive heard that an ips monitor is only noticeable (the colors) in a very bright environment. and yeah, an ssd will not actually increase performance, only loading times, HOWEVER it can give you an edge in games like bf4 because you can load new maps almost instantly :p and i went with the one i did because it is very high quality and very fast.