Will this PC last me 3 years for 1080p gaming?

The_Icon

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
Just yesterday I finishing building my PC, had to sell my PS4 for money to get the GPU. My specs:

Core i5 4570
8GBx2 = 16GB RAM
Sapphire Tri X Radeon R9 290

I want to play the games at 1080p, 60ps with high settings. Is it possible for foreseeable future? Or at least 1080p and smooth 30fps?

Solution
A computer (pretty much applies to anything though) will only last as long as you're satisfied with it. 1080p? Of course, there are people playing at 1080p with much less. At high? Probably not. It comes down to whether or not you absolutely have to play at high. If you come to the realization that you'll eventually be playing at medium, then low, then possibly super low, then you'll be fine for more than three years.

PCgenie

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Possibly, as time progresses there's no telling what sort of advancements will happen in terms of gaming, i would say that the GPU will last you some time (possibly 3 years at a push). you are most likely to have to upgrade the CPU at some point.

Really its more about what you are willing to play at rather than trying to predict the future, i would say upgrade when frame rates drop too low for you to play what you want at full settings

enemy1g

Honorable
A computer (pretty much applies to anything though) will only last as long as you're satisfied with it. 1080p? Of course, there are people playing at 1080p with much less. At high? Probably not. It comes down to whether or not you absolutely have to play at high. If you come to the realization that you'll eventually be playing at medium, then low, then possibly super low, then you'll be fine for more than three years.

Solution
If your performance now meets your requirements, then if will be good for any future similar games.
Game developers will not willingly raise the requirements for their games to perform well; they would sell fewer.

It open question is what will YOU want?
If you go to triple monitor gaming or a 4k monitor, then all bets are off.