[SOLVED] Will this PC work as an HTPC?

deadmuse

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I'm looking for a new pre-built PC that will work as an HTPC for streaming and playing local video in 1080p and eventually stream 4k as well. I don't want a TV box/ media box like nVidia Shield, Roku, etc because I have wasted money on several such devices that don't even handle 1080p without stuttering or having other annoying issues. So I'm looking for a Windows 10 PC I can use as a home theater system controlled with a mouse and keyboard.

Will the specs on this system handle 4k streaming when that becomes more widely available? Also, anyone know if I can upgrade that video card with my old GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660 Ti?

• Dell Inspiron Desktop 3670
• 8th Generation Intel Core i3-8100 processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.6 GHz),
• 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 up to [32GB], (additional memory sold separately) ,
• 1TB 7200 RPM [SATA] (HDD) 3.5-inch,
• Intel UHD Graphics 630

Thank you!

Almost every TV has a network media player that can play stuff off a network share, you don't even need a computer for that. Put the videos on a network share, no need for a separate computer.

If you want a computer directly connected to the TV, I would go with a much smaller setup like this HP which has support for HDMI 2.0 which can run 4k with no issues https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-p...gn_7tMa1hG_W4B2AblhoCLDYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds