Question Will this power supply fit in my case?

sapins23

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018
So im looking for a PC upgrade, but to upgrade my GPU i've decided that i need a PSU upgrade. (current GPU GTX 1050 TI and i want to upgrade to AMD RX 570/580/590 i still cant decide). I have a Asus prime B250M-K MicroATX motherboard and my current PSU is CHIEFTEC ATX 2.3 500W PFC 80+ GPA-500S8 and im looking to buy a CORSAIR VS550 550W CP-9020171-EU , My PC case is a no brand random case i found in my basement from 2002 and im not looking to upgrade it, i just wanted to know if there is a way to know if it will fit

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
White the Chieftec unit is shorter than average, it's not by a lot. Otherwise, it's a standard ATX PSU form factor.

Unless the Chieftec cables routing out from the PSU are right against something (drive cage, maybe? Tough to guess from a near 20 year old case), then the VS550 should fit without issue.

Realistically though, the VS550 is not a great quality unit itself - and if you're 'upgrading', I would certainly suggest looking for better quality alternatives.

Unfortunately, depending on your specific location, the VS lineup might be the 'best' available to you. If you're somewhere with limited component access, perhaps the older, yet quality SeaSonic S12II units are available to you for similar money?

sapins23

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018
White the Chieftec unit is shorter than average, it's not by a lot. Otherwise, it's a standard ATX PSU form factor.

Unless the Chieftec cables routing out from the PSU are right against something (drive cage, maybe? Tough to guess from a near 20 year old case), then the VS550 should fit without issue.

Realistically though, the VS550 is not a great quality unit itself - and if you're 'upgrading', I would certainly suggest looking for better quality alternatives.

Unfortunately, depending on your specific location, the VS lineup might be the 'best' available to you. If you're somewhere with limited component access, perhaps the older, yet quality SeaSonic S12II units are available to you for similar money?

Would a CORSAIR ATX 2.4 CX550M 550W CP-9020102-EU or CORSAIR TXM SERIES 550W CP-9020133-EU (gold) be a better choise? Or maybe
CORSAIR CX600 ATX2.3 80+ 600W (bronze) Which of these 3 would be better then?

Last edited:

sapins23

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018

Are SeaSonic units any good?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The CX units that end in 50 (450, 550, 650) with the grey label are solid. The even numbers (CX600 etc) with a green label, not so much.

The TXM550 is a great unit.

SeaSonic is probably the only 'brand' that you know for sure is "good", although they do have some dated platforms that I would prefer the TXM550 over.

sapins23

Reputable
Feb 11, 2018
The CX units that end in 50 (450, 550, 650) with the grey label are solid. The even numbers (CX600 etc) with a green label, not so much.

The TXM550 is a great unit.

SeaSonic is probably the only 'brand' that you know for sure is "good", although they do have some dated platforms that I would prefer the TXM550 over.

Im going to buy the Corsaid CX 550w PSU then, will it do the job fine and will it fit in my case?