Will this power supply run my system?

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
I have an old Enermax EG565P-VE. I am building a new system and I do not want to buy a new power supply if I don't have to. The enermax is 535w. When I use PSU calculators on the web I get drastically different results depending on the site. Here are the parts going into my new rig:

ASUS P8Z77V-Pro mobo
i7 3770k (not overclocking) w/ included fan
GTX670 FTW
Samsung 840 Pro 128gb SSD
Seagate Barracude 7,200 rpm 160gbs (will eventually upgrade to a larger drive)
LG Super Multi DVD Rewriter
2x DDR3 1600 8gb 1.5v RAM
Thermaltake New Soprano Chassis w/ 200mm led fan
x2 120mm fans
Razer DeathAdder mouse
Undecided Keyboard
Wired xbox 360 controller at times

Will the enermax get burned up? If it does will it damage anything else in the system?

Hi - realhardtech recommends a 500w PSU for a system with
a gtx 670, and that has some wiggle room. So, you are OK with
your 535w Enermax unit and no need to upgrade.

Tom

For a system using a single EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW graphics card EVGA specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Enermax EG565P-VE, with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 34 Amps and with two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW graphics card.

fixing your rig. seems stupid to me if you are not overclocking, why are you getting a i7 3770k. and im recommending something similar to a i7 assuming that you are doing work and gaming, rather than straight on gaming. if you are solely gaming, id recommend otherwise

get this
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AxTa

if you are solely gaming, get this instead
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/AxU3

for the gaming build, get this ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74758&vpn=PV38G160C9K&manufacture=Patriot&promoid=1270

for the work build get this ram
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=76779&vpn=PV316G160C0K&manufacture=Patriot&promoid=1270

your 500w psu should hold up. just that if its more than 3 years old, it probably wont be able to supply the same wattage as it did when you bought it brand new

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
Everything is together now and running fine. I built the rig for my work as a video editor. I also wanted it to be powerful enough to run and develop pc games. I bought the i7 3700k because of its high clock speed. I am not overclocking because the chip came with a 3 year warranty and I do not want to void it before then as they may replace should it malfunction. This is the same reason for the 1.5v ram as anything above that voltage voids the cpu's warranty. I went ahead and purchased a new PSU based on Troll's statement about the wattage output degrading over time. After all, the Enermax is 7 or 8 years old and I may add a second 670. Not to mention, I bought the GTX 670 FTW Edition. Another question:

If I SLI with a second 670 FTW.. when it switches from PCIE 3.0 x16 to 2x PCIE 3.0 x8.. will the performance boost be anywhere close to 2x PCIE 3.0 x16? Will it even be worth it to run SLI on the LGA1155 architecture?

well you wasted a 100 dollars. a xeon would have performed within 1% of a i7 3770k. that 1% isnt worth 100 dollars. it would be the dumbest thing in building a computer since the whole point of a k chip is to overclock it. if you are too afraid you are going to blow something up (99% WONT happen), you can buy intel overclocking warranty for 30 bucks. they will replace your chip if it breaks

the xeon is much less likely to malfunction. they can withstand 1 month of continous operation at 100% load at a high temperature

why the crap would you get the ftw edition video card? it has the lowest performing cooler in all aftermarket gtx 670s, it is much louder than all the other offerings, and isnt even the lowest priced gtx 670

there is literally no difference between x16 and x8 modes for these consumer cards. if you were doing computation tasks, the margin is still within 2-4%

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013

I bought the 3770k for 229.99!
Also the FTW has performed very well. If you look at the clock speed... It is the same as the 680. I bought because it has the 680 speed for $100 less!

alexbd88

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
When I put everything in the case I also installed a dedicated videocard fan pointed directly at the 670 ftw. I think I am okay when it comes to cooling this beast. In response to the volume issue you posed, my case has sound dampening features. I haven't heard a peep from the GTX 670 FTW.

ok then fair enough on the i7.

the stock clock speed is irrelevant. the better the cooler, the higher the card will auto boost itself. my 670 from gigabyte (my choice other than the msi power edition 670) at stock speed (980mhz) will boost to around 1200mhz easily. with overclocking, it will reach 1300mhz no problem. and it will run at 50c

you do not buy a nvidia video card for its stock speed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts