[SOLVED] will this PSU be fine with this build?

Apr 6, 2021
I have a desired build, as i have a prebuilt but i want to upgrade mostly all of it.

What i have:
CPU - Ryzen 3 2300x
GPU - RX 570 4gb
MOBO - MSI A320M A PRO
RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance White 3200mhz
HDD - Toshiba 1TB
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250gb
PSU - Coolermaster MWE 230V 500W

My desired build:
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - GTX 1660 Super
MOBO - The same (A320M A PRO)
RAM - The same (Corsair vengeance 16gb 3200mhz)
HDD - The same (Toshiba 1TB)
SSD - The same (Samsung 860 evo 250gb)
PSU - The same (Coolermaster MWE 230V 500W)

My question is:
Will this 500W PSU be able to cope with the build above. Or will it be too weak.

Solution
Ok so, you need to upgrade psu to at least 600w, change to EVGA, Corsair, super flower, or Seasonic

600w is not needed for an R5 3600 and a 1660s. A quality 550w will easily handle such a combination, without issue. Even a quality 450w would get the job done.
Getting a higher wattage one is ok, if price is close, and is still a quality unit.
That PSU is a disaster waiting to happen. Get something manufactured by Seasonic or Superflower. There are many brands that have PSUs made by the previously mentioned companies, they also brand their own PSUs. In any case you can get away with a 450-550w PSU with ease as long as its a quality unit.

logainofhades

Titan
Ok so, you need to upgrade psu to at least 600w, change to EVGA, Corsair, super flower, or Seasonic

600w is not needed for an R5 3600 and a 1660s. A quality 550w will easily handle such a combination, without issue. Even a quality 450w would get the job done.
Getting a higher wattage one is ok, if price is close, and is still a quality unit.

Solution

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Honestly it's pretty low end, could work for a while but you def need something better, I second logainofhades with the CX550.

You do know brand isn't equal to quality, right? and that those brands have poorer units too? .... and that more watts =/= better quality...... right?

Last edited by a moderator:
You do know brand isn't equal to quality, right? and that those brands have <Mod Edit> units too?
Brand does equal quality, it just depends on the brand. Give me a bad model of Seasonic PSU made in the last 4 years. Certain brands have many good to great units with few crappy ones. Seasonic, and Corsair are all pretty much good or better. Sure Corsair has a few on the low end but then compare those to coolermaster PSUs. The only thing all companies are capable of is making a lemon and that's different than a model of PSU being bad.

To clear some things up, it is best practice never buy ANYTHING based on brand alone, even if I am guilty of doing this a time or too myself... A good brand is a good place to start your search, but even "good" companies slip up sometimes or make budget oriented units that lack the quality you would expect from their higher priced units. You should always look at reviews of a particular model before purchasing, even if it is from a reputable manufacturer.

The Focus and Prime units are very good in most cases, but they can have shutdown issues with the ridiculous power spikes from GPUs like the RTX3090 that other units don't have. The S12iii series are cheap units and you get what you pay for.

Now for the OP:

I am assuming this is a Cyberpower/ibuypower prebuilt, correct? If so, what model number.

If I had to guess, your desired system would end up drawing a similar amount to your current specs. The AMD RX570 draws more power than the GTX1660 super in general, but on the other hand the 3600 most likely will draw a bit more power than a 2300x, despite the TDP being the same.

Given this information plus the fact your system may draw 300w tops, your current PSU will most likely work, but whether I would reccomend upgrading it or not depends on WHICH EXACT model of PSU you have. There are many versions of the MWE 230v, and it would be helpful to know which exactly.

Reactions: mylesjc
I have a desired build, as i have a prebuilt but i want to upgrade mostly all of it.

What i have:
CPU - Ryzen 3 2300x
GPU - RX 570 4gb
MOBO - MSI A320M A PRO
RAM - 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance White 3200mhz
HDD - Toshiba 1TB
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250gb
PSU - Coolermaster MWE 230V 500W

My desired build:
CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - GTX 1660 Super
MOBO - The same (A320M A PRO)
RAM - The same (Corsair vengeance 16gb 3200mhz)
HDD - The same (Toshiba 1TB)
SSD - The same (Samsung 860 evo 250gb)
PSU - The same (Coolermaster MWE 230V 500W)

My question is:
Will this 500W PSU be able to cope with the build above. Or will it be too weak.

" My question is:
Will this 500W PSU be able to cope with the build above. Or will it be too weak. "

No, it won't be too weak. It's just that the parts it's made from are not very good and it may not be reliable. A better quality model in the same power range would be fine.

The lowest cost model that I consider to be of acceptable quality is the Corsair CX550, as mentioned by a few others already. The CX550 is not expensive and comes with a 5 year warranty. I use it in one of my systems and it works fine and is very quiet.

Focus Plus had problems even with Vega and GTX Titan cards due to high power usage, S12 was an entry level series, not made to pair with high end components or perform OC. Haven't read about the others.
The specific batch of Focus plus PSUs were more lemons than representative of all the others that were perfectly fine. The S12 or at least the one you are referring to is older than 4 year by a lot.

Apr 6, 2021
To clear some things up, it is best practice never buy ANYTHING based on brand alone, even if I am guilty of doing this a time or too myself... A good brand is a good place to start your search, but even "good" companies slip up sometimes or make budget oriented units that lack the quality you would expect from their higher priced units. You should always look at reviews of a particular model before purchasing, even if it is from a reputable manufacturer.

The Focus and Prime units are very good in most cases, but they can have shutdown issues with the ridiculous power spikes from GPUs like the RTX3090 that other units don't have. The S12iii series are cheap units and you get what you pay for.

Now for the OP:

I am assuming this is a Cyberpower/ibuypower prebuilt, correct? If so, what model number.

If I had to guess, your desired system would end up drawing a similar amount to your current specs. The AMD RX570 draws more power than the GTX1660 super in general, but on the other hand the 3600 most likely will draw a bit more power than a 2300x, despite the TDP being the same.

Given this information plus the fact your system may draw 300w tops, your current PSU will most likely work, but whether I would reccomend upgrading it or not depends on WHICH EXACT model of PSU you have. There are many versions of the MWE 230v, and it would be helpful to know which exactly.
I have the MWE 230V White

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The problem with the Focus etc was they were too good. Most psus have their protections set way above what's realistic, and far too many are set so high they might as well not exist. The Focus were too tight, the power spikes possible (probable) on the Vega's and Ampere cards at such high draws to start with were tripping protections constantly.

It's not that that's a bad thing, like Asus motherboards and it's Anti-surge stuff, but in the wrong scenario it's just seriously annoying to have the pc constantly rebooting or shutting down entirely.

Blame the cards. If they didn't spike the way they do for no good particular reason, the Seasonics wouldn't trip.

The S/M12-II Bronze was never entry level. It was probably in the top 5 best psus available in its class when released (and for a decent amount of years after) on a seriously well thought out platform. The S12-III was a joke in comparison, a Seasonic platform subb'd out, a dollar short and a day late that not only didn't improve on its predecessors but couldn't compete with its competitors like the Corsair CX in anything. Not a 'bad' psu, just very lackluster and lacking anything to make it stand out of the crowd.

Reactions: helper800