[SOLVED] Will this PSU be sufficent?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Seems like pricing is wonky there, cxm power supplies are one of the cheapest psus (from a known company) that you can get around where i live.

and yes, 550watts will be great for your pc.
Yeah, the cxm psu I think costs 50% more... I know I should not be cheaping out for a psu, but I have a budget too.. Anyway thanks for confirming once again that 550 is enough. :)

Reactions: siaan312

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019
Chieftec GPS-C is not group regulated, you can even see DC-DC module through the fan grille. <=1000W models are based on CWT GPS, modern LLC + DC-DC platform, it's better than Seasonic S12III.
Yeah it was quite weird for me, it costed quite a bit more and it was 80 plus gold...
Now that I know that its better than seasonic... I want to ask you too.. Will Seasonic s12III be enough for my pc?

Chieftec GPS-C is not group regulated, you can even see DC-DC module through the fan grille. <=1000W models are based on CWT GPS, modern LLC + DC-DC platform, it's better than Seasonic S12III.
Wait, it was GPS? I Must have not paid any attention. 100% I remember him saying GPC somewhere, maybe because @magzzy124 said TPS and Antec VP Plus will "hurt my wallet". I didn't even checked his link when I said it was "group regulated". I doubt I even read what he said 🤣. Very sorry for my lack of reading @magzzy124, but the S12III I recommended was the best PSU that is cheaper than the TPS,

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Will Seasonic s12III be enough for my pc?
It's okay if it's significantly cheaper than Chieftec GPS-C.

@refillable First they indeed have asked about Chieftec GPC-S which is group reg., then they've asked about GPS-C, which there are three versions actually, two versions on CWT GPS platform, just Smart GPS-C with full Jap. 105°C caps and newer Power Smart GPS-C but with Teapo/Elite 85°C caps, and one SKU on Super Flower Golden Silent platform - Chieftec GPS-500C, only this wattage without any name on it, just model number. But they've linked Power Smart GPS-550C so i'd assume that's what they've seen at the store, somewhat better option than Seasonic S12III mainly due to more modern topology but capacitors choice is still mediocre, if it were Smart GPS-550C i'd say that it would've been definitely worth paying more for.

Last edited:

@refillable First they indeed have asked about Chieftec GPC-S which is group reg., then they've asked about GPS-C, which there are three versions actually, two versions on CWT GPS platform, just Smart GPS-C with full Jap. 105°C caps and newer Power Smart GPS-C but with Teapo/Elite 85°C caps, and one SKU on Super Flower Golden Silent platform - Chieftec GPS-500C, only this wattage without any name on it, just model number. But they've linked Power Smart GPS-550C so i'd assume that's what they've seen at the store, somewhat better option than Seasonic S12III mainly due to more modern topology but capacitors choice is still mediocre, if it were Smart GPS-550C i'd say that it would've been definitely worth paying more for.
If I actually would paid attention and read that it's GPS, I would have provided a different answer. The problem was I didn't, and simply assumed s/he said GPC as there is simply no way the GPS would cost less than the TPS.

Anyway, that's also interesting. Though familiar with most CWT platforms, I am not familiar with Chieftec, so thanks for the information! Your memory is amazing.

EDIT: I can't find the full Jap GPS-C. Are you sure they exist? I can only find the GPS-550A8, which seems to be based on the old group regulated CWT GPM.

Last edited:

magzzy124

Reputable
Aug 11, 2019

Ok, I am gonna go for a Seasonic s12III.

Reactions: refillable

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Your memory is amazing.
Not really, i have a bad memory, i refer to the spreadsheet we maintain. And no it's not 100% Jap caps, as i've found second review of it and caps there are all over the place, Tapo, Aishi, Samxon, Capxon, Chengy... And i'm not sure if it were just one-off series because just two reviews for Chieftec units which are usually very popular seems a bit low, maybe they've replaced it with Power Smart real quick.