[SOLVED] will this PSU COOLERMASTER ELITE SERIES 600W be enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimonheliotis

Reputable
Feb 27, 2015
in my future upgrade i am planning to add an fx-6300, a gtx 970, and a hyper 212 evo aero cooling. I also have an 78lmt-s2 mobo... Will PSU COOLERMASTER ELITE SERIES 600W be enough for these things?, Will i be able to OC my cpu or i need something more efficent?

Solution

Its not just about wattage. A good 550w PSu would be plenty for what he wants to do. A good 700w psu is capable of running 2 970s and still have a little room for overclocking. You need to look at the quality of the components and the amperage available on the 12v rail(s). Many of cooler masters PSUs are low quality. Low quality PSU(no matter what wattage), can have stability issues, poor voltage regulation, shutdowns(under load and random), ripple. Poor voltage regulation and ripple can damage other components. When a low quality psu dies it as the...

bignastyid

Titan
Technically it can deliver enough amps on the 12v rails to run the system but its a rather low quality unit so I wouldn't advise it. Even with a higher quality PSU that motherboard is going to hold you back as they don't overclock well as they have very weak and uncooled VRMs.

davmazin

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
should be enough for that but i am not sure if OCing will be ok since the spare power you will have left isnt that much, to be safe i would go for a 700W PSU Corsair, Evga , XFX or Cooler master have all good options but i am not much of an overclocker these days so wait to see if anyone can confirm this part xD

bignastyid

Titan

Its not just about wattage. A good 550w PSu would be plenty for what he wants to do. A good 700w psu is capable of running 2 970s and still have a little room for overclocking. You need to look at the quality of the components and the amperage available on the 12v rail(s). Many of cooler masters PSUs are low quality. Low quality PSU(no matter what wattage), can have stability issues, poor voltage regulation, shutdowns(under load and random), ripple. Poor voltage regulation and ripple can damage other components. When a low quality psu dies it as the potential to fry everything it powers. The only Coolermaster PSUs I'd recommend are the V and VS series.

Solution
Seeing this old thread, and feeling the need to further correct misinformation so that others who might come across it don't become confused by the lack of accuracy, let's be clear that you are not "being safe than sorry" by simply getting a higher capacity crappy power supply. You'd be a lot more "safe than sorry" by looking into high quality models of the same (Or in some cases, even LESS capacity) than you would by getting a higher wattage, but still crappy quality unit. Further, as we try to explain to everybody who has difficulty grasping the concept, not all 750w (Or any wattage you'd care to name) units are made equally and the majority of poor quality units cannot even achieve or maintain their rated watts, so getting one with more watts on the label if it can't supply it, is simply a false sense of security.

Sorry for the necro, but if I came across this thread others have as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.