[SOLVED] Will this psu/gpu work with my pc?

Jul 5, 2020
I am interested in upgrading the power supply on my hp pc, so I can get a better gpu. I'm not sure if the psu is compatible with the motherboard, and if I need any adapters or anything like that. The pc is called hp pavilion 590-p0057c desktop pc. The motherboard is a lincs hp board. The current psu is 310w, and the newer one is 600w. The current gpu is a rx550 2gb. The new one is a rx580 8gb. Thank you.

links:
prebuilt pc: https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...es/19390500/model/21299366/document/c05999904
new psu: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-6...us-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029
new gpu: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-radeon-rx-580-gv-rx580gaming-8gd-rev2-0/p/N82E16814932247

Btw this is my first post so sorry if something is wrong.

Solution
Current PSU is a SFF PSU, not ATX like the new one. Meaning the form factor is different. You need a SFF PSU to make this work. The PSU you picked isn't that good either. I'd keep looking.
Jul 5, 2020
Current PSU is a SFF PSU, not ATX like the new one. Meaning the form factor is different. You need a SFF PSU to make this work. The PSU you picked isn't that good either. I'd keep looking.
Can you recommend any specific sff psu's, ones that could sustain a gtx 1650 super (so about 500w i guess), and could fit in my pc (and be compatible with the motherboard)? Thank you again.

Can you recommend any specific sff psu's, ones that could sustain a gtx 1650 super (so about 500w i guess), and could fit in my pc (and be compatible with the motherboard)? Thank you again.

The issue is the board will not accept standard psu inputs.

Your current psu will run a 1650 super, as far as I'm aware it should have a 6 pin pci express plug.

Its only 310 w but its a gold rated delta unit which is very good quality.

Jul 5, 2020
The issue is the board will not accept standard psu inputs.

Your current psu will run a 1650 super, as far as I'm aware it should have a 6 pin pci express plug.

Its only 310 w but its a gold rated delta unit which is very good quality.
310 will run it? I looked up the recommended psu and it says 400-450

310 will run it? I looked up the recommended psu and it says 400-450

1650 super is a 100w max GPU, the 8400 pulls less than 50w at full load, throw another 50w in for system wide draw (that's overestimating) and you're at 200w.

Yes it will run it.

Check your psu for a loose 6 pin power cable, it looks like hp use both delta and acbel.

The delta definitely has a 6 pin cable, I'm not sure if the acbel does or not.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
1650 super is a 100w max GPU, the 8400 pulls less than 50w at full load, throw another 50w in for system wide draw (that's overestimating) and you're at 200w.

Yes it will run it.

Check your psu for a loose 6 pin power cable, it looks like hp use both delta and acbel.

Okay I will check later, thanks

Jul 5, 2020

Yes it will run it.

I checked and found one
View: https://imgur.com/ii4WB3t

Jul 5, 2020
Hello, I have another question. I am eyeing this 1650 super, but I read in the reviews/questions that it is a two slot card. My motherboard only has one pcie slot, so I'm pretty sure it won't fit. (it might be too wide) Also, there is only one cutout in the back panel (for gpu where the io is, hdmi, etc) (my current rx550 requires one slot only) and I think two cutouts are needed for the pny 1650 super. Can this card fit inside? Thank you very much.

Only 1 pci express slot on the motherboard is needed, the rest of the card hangs below the slot.

You do need 2 cutouts on the back pci express plate for the GPU.

I'm fairly certain you case has more than 1 slot of the back because you have a 1 x pci express short slot below the main 16 x socket.

Can you post a picture of the back of your case??

Gpu will be fine, you have loads of room width wise.

The perforated metal plate below the one your GPU is in is a perforated push out one.

Its only held in by a few tiny. 5mm strands, just push it outwards from the inside of you case firmly and these will snap off leaving that plate slot clear.

Jul 5, 2020
Gpu will be fine, you have loads of room width wise.

The perforated metal plate below the one your GPU is in is a perforated push out one.

Its only held in by a few tiny. 5mm strands, just push it outwards from the inside of you case firmly and these will snap off leaving that plate slot clear.
It worked, if I end up getting the gpu, i'll post an image :) Thanks. Also, last one, will the cooling be sufficient for the card if I just plop it in there, or another fan is needed somewhere?

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
You should be fine, it's a blower type anyway by the look of it, most of the hot air gets exhausted straight out of the back of the GPU grill.
20210103_211022.jpg

Ayy so i built a whole new pc, but still no gpu lol. Im going to try and get a 3060 12gb version :)

Jul 5, 2020
That looks very tidy, what did you go with component wise??

Good luck getting hold of a 3060
Thanks, it isn't completely new, everything except the cpu lol still an i5 8400 but i got a tuf z390 so i can upgrade to a 9700k later (they're going for as low as 260). the case is the cooler master h500, the cooler is the noctua nh u12s with the na-hc2 heatsink cover, the psu is the evga g5 650 supernova, the ram is some mis-matched modules but they are 48gb (@2733) and the cable extensions are from asiahorse. Yea i hope the 3060 stock will be better than other launches, ive heard nvidia has signed a deal w samsung to make more but idk

TRENDING THREADS