[SOLVED] Will this PSU work with a GTX 750ti ?

Aug 20, 2019
I have an old HP Elite 7100 mt.

These are the basic specs I have
Processor: Intel Core i5-650 (3.2GHz)
Motherboard : MSI 2A9Ch
Memory: 6 GB (3x2)
Graphics : Intel HD
PSU: HP Elite 7100 Micro Tower PC Power Supply ATX0300F5WB 604611-001

I'm upgrading my memory adding 4GB to make a total of 10GB
Also, I wanted to buy a graphics card to be able to do some light gaming ( Overwatch, pubg, Fortnite, LOL .... ) some games like that on lower settings of course

I decided to buy the GTX 750ti as it's in my price range and has good performance.

The issue I'm seeing is with some ppl saying it would work with a 300W psu and other saying it wouldn't
I'm not sure what to make of that. Should I buy it or not ? I probably can't afford another PSU on this older machine, plus I have to already upgrade the RAM and GPU.

The PSU is mentioned above and here's the link to the unit I have
https://www.amazon.com/HP-Elite-Supply-ATX0300F5WB-604611-001/dp/B00OBMTLH6

If someone could advise me if this card would work on my MOBO and PSU

Thank you !

Solution
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Realistically the 750Ti warrants a good 350W. Having said that, a good quality 300W would probably work fine. The problem, and why you're likely going to get mixed responses, is the quantity of wattage is useless without quality.

And unfortunately the Dell OEM PSUs are usually very poor quality, and the last thing you would want to do is buy new components for a poor PSU to cause instability or damage to your components.

Remember it's not the overall wattage that powers your PSU, but more specifically the 12V rail on your PSU. So overall will it work - technically yes. Is it recommended with your PSU? absolutely not.

Get a good quality (at least 350W) and you'll...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend!

Realistically the 750Ti warrants a good 350W. Having said that, a good quality 300W would probably work fine. The problem, and why you're likely going to get mixed responses, is the quantity of wattage is useless without quality.

And unfortunately the Dell OEM PSUs are usually very poor quality, and the last thing you would want to do is buy new components for a poor PSU to cause instability or damage to your components.

Remember it's not the overall wattage that powers your PSU, but more specifically the 12V rail on your PSU. So overall will it work - technically yes. Is it recommended with your PSU? absolutely not.

Get a good quality (at least 350W) and you'll be fine. You can see a bit more info on point 1 here as to why: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Solution
Aug 20, 2019
Get a good quality (at least 350W) and you'll be fine. You can see a bit more info on point 1 here as to why: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...when-selecting-parts-for-a-custom-pc.3510178/

Thank you for your reply !
I was going through the post you linked, which is very informative and well written.

I would like to ask if you have good criteria to choose a PSU since you highlighted that also the brand is not a guarantee.

What would I look for when buying a PSU ? and other than form factor and fitting in the case, would compatibility be an issue too with the MOBO for example ?

Thank you again !

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Realistically, credibly and well founded reviews. Which basically means not reviews by users. But instead reviews by PSU testers specifically, such as JonnyGuru, Toms Hardware, Kitguru etc.

As a quick reference, you can use some well established PSU tier lists like this: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/ and the idea is to stick to Tier B and above, but if you can, aim even above Tier B. The jump from Tier B to Tier A is pretty big, Tier B is good if you're on a budget, but still lower quality than all the above.

I personally only run Tier A and upwards.

Reactions: Tiki_EG

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What would I look for when buying a PSU ? and other than form factor and fitting in the case, would compatibility be an issue too with the MOBO for example ?
In regards to this, PSUs, Motherboards, and Cases are ATX standardised (aside OEM proprietory stuff like in some premade Dell PCs), so a full size ATX case, can take any ATX Motherboard and any ATX PSU for example, this goes for size and connection.

So an ATX PSU will have ATX standard form factor and power connections, which will then fit an ATX standardised Motherboard.

As long as the 750ti doesnt need a 6 pin pcie power connector it should work.

I would still suggest an upgraded psu so you dont run into PSU failures or unexpected shutdowns if the PSU cannot deliver the required current.

You will need at least a new case to fit a standard ATX PSU. Depending on your motherboard you may need an adapter to plug into the motherboard.

I think you are good.
A stock GTX750ti is a 60w card.
https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-750-ti/specifications
the power recommendation is 300w.

There are some GTX750ti cards that are heavily factory overclocked and need an aux 6 pin power connector.
That will not work for you.

My suggestion is to go ahead and buy the GTX750ti and see how you do.
If the power demands are excessive you will note higher psu fan noise.
The most likely visible evidence of lack of power might be display artifacts.

TRENDING THREADS