Will this Psu work with my motherboard

II Pc User II

Commendable
Aug 8, 2016
Hello, I am trying to upgrade my pc but i am not sure if the Silverstone Sfx Series St45sf-g psu will work with my Dell 0DR845 motherboard (I know its old).

Solution
Also to take into consideration the case. You are looking to use an SFX psu that's a standard size, boxey. Many of the Dell, Lenovo, Acer, HP, Compaq. Etc SFX mini towers come with proprietary psus, they are not boxey, but chopped up to avoid the motherboard, L shaped, fans at exhaust port etc. While most connections will work, some motherboards also use 6pin EPS, 5pin EPS etc.

I'll give Hamperking68 partial credit though, most ATX aftermarket psus will work on most aftermarket motherboards. It's really only the OEM proprietary psu's and mobo's that'll give a person fits.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Not true when it comes to Dell, HP, etc, many of their PCs have proprietary PSU setups.

This one in particular does not, and has a standard 20 pin connector, which means the Silverstone should work. This is very much not always the case.

I did check to ensure that it was a 20+4 pin. You will not need to use the +4 pin which is attachable onto the connector.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Right, but my comment was directed towards the blanket statement of most power supplies work in any motherboard. When dealing with Dell and HP and the like thats very often not the case.

Sorry, I understand the confusion now. when making that statement I wasn't referring to OEM boards.

Sorry for the confusion.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Also to take into consideration the case. You are looking to use an SFX psu that's a standard size, boxey. Many of the Dell, Lenovo, Acer, HP, Compaq. Etc SFX mini towers come with proprietary psus, they are not boxey, but chopped up to avoid the motherboard, L shaped, fans at exhaust port etc. While most connections will work, some motherboards also use 6pin EPS, 5pin EPS etc.

I'll give Hamperking68 partial credit though, most ATX aftermarket psus will work on most aftermarket motherboards. It's really only the OEM proprietary psu's and mobo's that'll give a person fits.

Solution