[SOLVED] Will this ram configuration work?

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015
A month ago my motherboard burnt out for some reason and I ordered a new one of the same model off of ebay and it arrived today (Asus B85M-G)
Unfortunately the old one took out 3 of my 4 sticks of ram with it
I had 16gb earlier (4x4gb) now im left with only 4gb
I wanna buy two 8gb sticks to get my 16gb back but here's the thing, is it possible for me to use both the new 8gb sticks along with the 4gb one to get 20 in total instead of leaving it go to waste?
Thanks

Solution
A month ago my motherboard burnt out for some reason and I ordered a new one of the same model off of ebay and it arrived today (Asus B85M-G)
I wanna buy two 8gb sticks to get my 16gb back but here's the thing, is it possible for me to use both the new 8gb sticks along with the 4gb one to get 20 in total instead of leaving it go to waste?
Thanks
You can use any configuration of ram as long as it's compatible with the motherboard. The issues you face though is whether the new modules are compatible with the old module and you will be running single channel mode or hybrid mode with the 4GB module installed...
Thanks
You can use any configuration of ram as long as it's compatible with the motherboard. The issues you face though is whether the new modules are compatible with the old module and you will be running single channel mode or hybrid mode with the 4GB module installed. Honestly you are better off just leaving the 4GB module out and run only 16GB.

Although it's not ideal, if you need more ram you could get another 4GB module to maintain dual channel mode with the 2x8GB or get another 2x8GB kit for 32GB total. DDR3 is usually more tolerant of different modules than DDR4. However, I wouldn't invest more money into DDR3 other than the 2x8GB kit, since it's going to be as expensive or more as DDR4 for the same capacity. Used kits are usually about half the price of new and usually fine if bought from a highly rated seller with a return policy.

Solution

Maurice97

Distinguished
BANNED
May 24, 2015
You can use any configuration of ram as long as it's compatible with the motherboard. The issues you face though is whether the new modules are compatible with the old module and you will be running single channel mode or hybrid mode with the 4GB module installed. Honestly you are better off just leaving the 4GB module out and run only 16GB.

Although it's not ideal, if you need more ram you could get another 4GB module to maintain dual channel mode with the 2x8GB or get another 2x8GB kit for 32GB total. DDR3 is usually more tolerant of different modules than DDR4. However, I wouldn't invest more money into DDR3 other than the 2x8GB kit, since it's going to be as expensive or more as DDR4 for the same capacity. Used kits are usually about half the price of new and usually fine if bought from a highly rated seller with a return policy.
Alright, thanks I guess I'll stick with 2x8gb as you said, at least for now
Maybe I'll add another 2x8gb later if I need it
Thank you!