[SOLVED] Will this RAM setting run safely?

wizbit

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018
Hi everyone

Can someone please have a quick look at the CPU-Z screenshots I've posted below and cast your expert eye over them.

I have a new build and for the first time have not used stock specs. When I just put it together the RAM seemed to be running very slowly (1066Mhz I think) compared to what it should be.

I've followed advice I've read, updated the BIOS and with the auto-overclocking settings selected I think it's running correctly but could really do with an eye to just confirm that it's all OK before I put it under load.

Sorry for my very first post to be asking a question but I'm a bit concerned and Toms Hardware is where the experts seem to gather!

My specs are:

Asrock X470 Taichi
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Corsair Vengance LPX 3000MHz running 4x 16GB sticks (yeah, 64GB total)

This is what CPU-Z shows me:

WyBWLMu.jpg

kHuxcL9.jpg

FZ1s2y0.jpg

Thank you in advance for any advice. I don't ever overclock (don't want to risk damaging anything) so this is all new for me!

Solution

We would have to see your voltages such as VR Vout, VCore, DRAM Voltage, VCCIO and VCCSA to asses whether you are applying safe voltages. You can use HWinfo64 to see the relevant voltages. A common practice when asking questions about your system is to post a...

wizbit

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018
Thanks for the quick answer! I thought it was, but couldn't quite believe it was right as I'd read about so many problems!

Ooh, that's reminded me, I'm having a bit of trouble with the temperatures as they are misreporting (again, a common issue so I've read).

This is what they are currently showing:

This is from Core Temp

360tsEa.jpg

And this is what's showing in the system tray:

varalH1.png

What's going on there?

jfriend00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007
Nobody can really tell from those screenshots if that RAM configuration will be stable or not. You will have to run it and test it. I use MemTest86 (from Passmark, booted from a USB stick) and RAMTest (requires small purchase) to thoroughly test my RAM configuration (I'm running 4x8GB, 3733MHz on a Taichi z390 and had to manually raise the DRAM voltage and lower VCCIO and VCCSA to get stability). Running 4 sticks is more stressful on things so you will definitely need to stress test the RAM to measure your stability.

wizbit

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018

Thanks for the reply and software suggestion, as you say, I think testing is something I will have to do.

My question is more meaning, is what I've shown, safe? I've been doing quite a bit of reading around and found a thread in another forum where the voltage on the RAM was over 1.5V which people were saying could fry the RAM and to turn it down, apparently it had auto-set that way.

I'm very cautious about not falling into that trap which is why I'm asking. Thanks!

jfriend00

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2007

We would have to see your voltages such as VR Vout, VCore, DRAM Voltage, VCCIO and VCCSA to asses whether you are applying safe voltages. You can use HWinfo64 to see the relevant voltages. A common practice when asking questions about your system is to post a screen shot of the part of the HWiNFO64 screen that shows the above voltages. CPU-Z does not show all this info.

Solution

wizbit

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018

Thanks for the reply and software suggestion!

I've installed Ryzen Master now and this is what it says:

m1JIi6S.jpg

Something is written in red which caught my eye!
Also, it's only showing one temperature still, I guess that's the average temperate, or the temperature of the hottest core? I'm surprised I don't see one for each core.

wizbit

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018

Thanks jfriend00, that sounds exactly like what I'm wanting to find out!

I'd never herad of HWInfo before, what a fascinating bit of software, there is so much information in there!

I'm looking for the right bit now and will update this post when I find it.

Btw, apologies to you both for taking a while to reply to your answers, I've been tied up with Christmas stuff and have only been able to get back to the computer stuff today!

Thanks again.

wizbit

Reputable
Dec 26, 2018

I've replied to you with the Ryzen Master screenshot further up. :D

The RAM settings is a bit more confusing, I think I may have to just post everything!