Will this run windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradsctt

Distinguished
hi there,
my parents laptop is beginning to show its age, and i wondered if a fresh install of Windows 8 when it is released will help at all?
it is a 5-6 year old Toshiba satellite A100, and it is currently running XP Professional. Model Number: PSAA9A-00S00F
Basic specs: Core Duo T2400 1.83GHz, Radeon X1300 64MB, currently 512MB RAM(will upgrade) and an 80GB HDD
would it be worth getting the cheap upgrade option, or doing a clean install of XP again?
thanks for any help.
bradley

Solution
Can it run Windows 8? Sure.

The real question is: should it run Windows 8? Probably not. An older laptop like that may benefit from having Windows 8 in relative boot speed but overall responsiveness will go down in comparison to XP due to the much larger amount of RAM that Windows Vista/7/8 consume.

jonathan_569

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
it would be better to run it with Win XP, since that system was design for XP, being able to utilize all the components.. but it's up to your preference...
i think your system can handle windows 8.. since from that specs that you gave me it will run win 7...

unreal9400

Distinguished
If the sticker says designed for windows XP it is made for XP.
Upgrading the RAM to 2GB will make the computer more responsive.
I have tested windows 7 on old computers and i find that windows XP gave better performance than windows 7 on old hardware.

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Can it run Windows 8? Sure.

The real question is: should it run Windows 8? Probably not. An older laptop like that may benefit from having Windows 8 in relative boot speed but overall responsiveness will go down in comparison to XP due to the much larger amount of RAM that Windows Vista/7/8 consume.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.