[SOLVED] Will this setup work for testing?

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
I need to test out a recently acquired GTX 980ti. Currently this is what I have at my disposal:

Nvidia 680i LT sli Mobo with 8gb ram

Seasonic SSR-750RM semi modular PSU

GTX 980ti GPU

I realize that the Mobo is way outdated, and is pci-e 2.0. I just need to fire it up and see if the GPU works or if there are issues.

I also need input on connecting the 6 pin and 8 pin from PSU to the 980. The PSU has one cable permanently attached with a 6 pin and 8 pin branching off. Will this connection be enough power or is this a bad idea, and should I run 2 separate modular cables from the PSU?

Again I realize that this is a mismatch, and may not even post, but want to make sure I do no damage by just trying.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
I need to test out a recently acquired GTX 980ti. Currently this is what I have at my disposal:

GTX 980ti GPU

I realize that the Mobo is way outdated, and is pci-e 2.0. I just need to fire it up and see if the GPU works or if there are issues.

I also need input on connecting the 6 pin and 8 pin from PSU to the 980. The PSU has one cable permanently attached with a 6 pin and 8 pin branching off. Will this connection be enough power or is this a bad idea, and should I run 2 separate modular cables from the PSU?

Again I realize that this is a mismatch, and may not even post, but want to make sure I do no damage by just trying.

Thank you.
it should...

GTX 980ti GPU

Thank you.
it should work, as long the motherboard and psu is not wacky.

Solution